[Reader-list] Journalists: Watchdogs, Lapdogs, And Sleeping Dogs

Avishek Ganguly avishek_ganguly at yahoo.co.in
Mon Mar 3 14:15:40 IST 2003

Watchdogs, Lapdogs, And Sleeping Dogs
by Will Potter; February 24, 2003

Journalists like to think of themselves as watchdogs,
nipping at the heels
of the powerful and guarding democracy. Progressive
critics see them as
lapdogs for the political and corporate elite. More
often reporters are
just tired old dogs asleep on the porch.

Take a recent Sunday morning adventure at NBC studios
in Washington, D.C.,
where I joined a pack of these wet dogs taking shelter
from a downpour in
the NBC lobby. The NBC staff wheeled out a TV cart so
reporters could watch
"Meet the Press" with Tim Russert. Russert interviewed
Richard Perle,
chairman of the Defense Policy Board (a Pentagon
advisory panel charged
with overseeing military preparedness), and Rep.
Dennis Kucinich, the Ohio
Democrat who has emerged as one of the few strong
congressional voices
against war.

It's a Sunday routine: At the end of the show,
reporters gather outside the
front door and beg the guests for a few soundbite
scraps.

Until then, they sprawl out on benches in the lobby,
absent-mindedly
watching the interviews. This is the state of American
media, the free
press: reporters and camera crews watching an
interview on television as it
takes place just down the hall. Journalists don't like
the ridiculous
setup, but they don't have much choice. They have to
meet the demands of
the corporate media conglomerates they work for, and
to do that they have
to play the game.

Some read newspapers. One takes notes. Another
reporter talks on a cell
phone to his wife. "Yeah, they're just bickering right
now. No, I don't
know how much longer it will be."
  They listen to Perle beat the drums of war. It leads
to a discussion of
democracy. He says that it would be good if Israel
were surrounded by
democracies. He says it would be good if Iraq were a
democracy.

"Democracies," Perle says to Russert, "do not engage
in aggressive wars."

The dogs awake.

"What? Is this guy smoking crack?" one reporter nearly
shouts. Everyone
laughs and nods in agreement. The reporter expressed
the frustration and
outrage that millions of people around the world know,
and what many
journalists understand, but almost never articulate.

As I watched the interview, I wondered if Russert was
also thinking, "What
is he smoking?" I hoped he would say, "Well, Mr.
Perle, either the laundry
list of foreign aggressions in U.S. history (covert
actions like those in
Guatemala in 1954, proxy aggressions like in Nicaragua
in the 1980s, and
overt aggressions including Vietnam and Panama) are
make-believe, or the
United States is not a democracy. Which is it?"
Russert never questioned
the core of Perle's arguments: his assumptions on
democracy, power, and
violence. He moved on to the next topic. His silence
spoke volumes.

The dogs go back to sleep.

The program ends. The reporters trudge outside and
assume their positions.
The first to pounce was the reporter who made the
"smoking crack" comment.
But she didn't pounce. She asked a generic question
nearly identical to one
Russert asked Perle. Perle gave a nearly identical
answer. The reporters
asked questions they already knew the answer to, and
Perle handed them
scripted answers (reporters sometimes do this so that
on their broadcasts
they can use their footage instead of a clip from a
talkshow). Voila. News
is made.

It's like a game with unwritten rules, but neither
party wants to admit
they're playing. Journalists are not dumb. Most of
them have an idea of how
the world works and how power structures operate. They
are generally
informed of world news. They have the ability to ask
questions, like those
on the minds of the millions of people who took to the
streets weeks ago,
yet most choose not to. They operate in a much larger
system of
corporate-controlled media, and must base their
decisions on what they
think is the best way to survive in that system.

Journalists who want to work for the national bureau
of a major network
know they must not only ask the right questions but
also avoid asking the
wrong ones. Asking hard questions could earn a
reporter a reputation as a
troublemaker (it once could earn the reporter a
reputation as a
"muckraker"). There are rewards in this system for
complacency. There are
few rewards for critical thinking. At that moment, I
couldn't handle it.
Moments earlier this reporter had seen through the
lies. I wanted to grab
her and yell, "YOUR COVER IS BLOWN. I know you aren't
clueless. You know
the truth, and you have no excuse for not speaking
it."

Something had to be said, so I jumped in and asked,
"Mr. Perle, you said
that democracies do not engage in aggressive wars.
Could you please
explain, then, how you view this 'pre-emptive war,'
against the will of the
international community and millions of people around
the world?"

I think it caught the reporters more off-guard than it
did Perle. He
avoided the question, and calmly said that this is not
an aggressive war
because Iraq has violated U.N. resolutions. He
answered another reporter's
question and walked away.

Next came Kucinich, and the situation repeated itself.
The reporters
repeated Russert's questions nearly verbatim. They
were more aggressive
with Kucinich, though, and I had trouble getting a
question in. So, when
Kucinich walked away, I followed him and asked a few
questions about his
vision for a Department of Peace in the federal
government, which angered
the other reporters.

"Why don't you come say that over here so we can all
use it?" they yelled.
Kucinich didn't respond. "Fine," one reporter shouted,
curtly. "Goodbye to
you too." We had broken the rules of the game.

The behavior of some journalists is frustrating, but
it is not enough to
simply blame them for acting like lazy dogs.
Journalists work within larger
institutions that constrain them. [For more on these
constraints, check out
the propaganda model presented by Ed Herman and Noam
Chomsky in
Manufacturing Consent or in Herman's Myth of the
Liberal Media.] They can,
and should, push against the constraints of those
institutions, but that is
only a partial solution. We need media reform
movements working to change
the ownership and regulation of media. [For more on
this see the work of
Robert McChesney {http://www.robertmcchesney.com/} and
check out his new
book with John Nichols, Our Media, Not Theirs.]

In a media system not dominated by corporations and
money, it would be
easier for journalists to do more than beg, roll over,
and have their
bellies rubbed. They could refuse to walk on a leash.
They could bark,
growl, and sometimes bite.

Will Potter is an intern for a national newspaper
based in Washington, D.C.
He has written for the Texas Observer, the Chicago
Tribune and the Dallas
Morning News. In his spare time he pays attention to
politics and the state
of American media. He can be reached at

will.potter at lycos.co.uk

article found on: