[Reader-list] US spying on UN delegates in its own backyard

Rana Dasgupta rana_dasgupta at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 07:48:11 IST 2003

memo leaked to the observer, london:

http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905954,00.html

commentary in the nation:

http://www.thenation.com/outrage/

Sunday March 2, 2003

To: [Recipients withheld]
From: FRANK KOZA, DEF Chief of Staff (Regional
Targets)
CIV/NSA
Sent on Jan 31 2003 0:16
Subject: Reflections of Iraq Debate/Votes at UN-RT
Actions + Potential for Related Contributions
Top Secret//COMINT//XI

All,

As you've likely heard by now, the Agency is mounting
a surge particularly directed at the UN Security
Council (UNSC) members (minus US and GBR of course)
for insights as to how to membership is reacting to
the on-going debate RE: Iraq, plans to vote on any
related resolutions, what related policies/
negotiating positions they may be considering,
alliances/ dependencies, etc - the whole gamut of
information that could give US policymakers an edge in
obtaining results favorable to US goals or to head off
surprises. In RT, that means a QRC surge effort to
revive/ create efforts against UNSC members Angola,
Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea, as well as extra
focus on Pakistan UN matters.

We've also asked ALL RT topi's to emphasize and make
sure they pay attention to existing non-UNSC member
UN-related and domestic comms for anything useful
related to the UNSC deliberations/ debates/ votes. We
have a lot of special UN-related diplomatic coverage
(various UN delegations) from countries not sitting on
the UNSC right now that could contribute related
perspectives/ insights/ whatever. We recognize that we
can't afford to ignore this possible source.

We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to
your analysts who might have similar, more in-direct
access to valuable information from accesses in your
product lines. I suspect that you'll be hearing more
along these lines in formal channels - especially as
this effort will probably peak (at least for this
specific focus) in the middle of next week, following
the SecState's presentation to the UNSC.

Thanks for your help