[Reader-list] Civic hacking: a new agenda for e-democracy

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Mar 18 05:46:25 IST 2003

http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-8-85-1025.jsp

Civic hacking: a new agenda for e-democracy
  James Crabtree
6 - 3 - 2003

The political potential of the internet lies not in connecting people
to politicians, still less in online voting; it lies in the
possibility of bringing citizens together to help themselves, argues
a veteran of online politics.

Representative democracy seems troubled. People are ignoring it. It
is not exactly hip with the kids. A little like the unfortunate uncle
who gate crashed the party, it hangs around trying to convince people
that its magic tricks are interesting.

Electronic democracy (e-democracy) is viewed squarely within the
remit of representative democracy. 'The Internet' is the new trick.
This amazing device - full of youth, verve, and energy - might just
be The Answer to its problems.

This, give or take, is the UK government's current strategy. It
recognises that our democratic system, while not exactly broken,
needs pepping up. In particular, it recognises that young people, who
tend to be keen on all things wired, frankly do not see the point of
politics. It reflects the fact that the political classes are
hunkered down under a big tent marked 'disengagement'. The Blair
government thinks the internet, this marvel of the modern age, can
help.

At best, this view is half right. Networked technology can help
representative democracy a little, but it is unlikely to be able to
help a lot. It comes down to a basic problem: if someone isn't
interested in politics, and they don't see the point in taking part,
doing it online is not going to help much.

The good news is that there may be a better way. The internet can
help to improve the civic lives of ordinary people, but only if it is
based on a different principle. E-democracy should not be primarily
about representation, participation, or direct access to decision
makers. First and foremost, it should be about self-help.

Public investment in e-democracy should be about allowing people to
help themselves, their communities, and others who are interested in
the same things as them. As I will explain, the centre of such a
strategy should be state support for what I call 'civic hacking', or
the development of applications to allow mutual aid among citizens
rather than through the state.

If you are not interested in politics, electronic politics will not help

The current British government has got the right question, but the
wrong answer. Its question is: how can we use the internet to help
people get the most out of civic life, politics, and the way in which
they are governed? This is based on a fairly sound analysis of the
current problems of democracy. Steven Coleman and John Gotze, in
their pamphlet Bowling Together, put this analysis rather well:

"There is a pervasive contemporary estrangement between
representative and those they represent, manifested in almost every
western country by falling voter turnout; lower levels of public
participation in civic life; public cynicism towards political
institutions and parties; and a collapse in once-strong political
loyalties."

So far so good. But Coleman and Gotze, and by extension the British
government, come up with the wrong conclusion. They seem to think
that people are in some way held back from participation. If we made
it easier - step forward 'the internet' - they might decide to get
involved. If we made participation in traditional processes a little
less tedious, the punters would come back. There would be greater
citizen involvement in policy making.

The assumption seems to be that if we make the entry route a little
sexier (electronic voting not ballots, online consultation not paper
consultation) it will make the system work. To be fair, it might make
a difference. The excellent British website Fax Your MP, for
instance, notes that "67% of our users report that they have never
contacted their MP before" suggesting that new ways of access can
bring "mostly new participants to the debate". But this is by no
means the only avenue open to government.

Reciprocity online

The opportunity is the construction of a civic space in where
citizens talk to each other, rather than to the state. An analogy
will help explain this. If you are stuck in a computer game, what do
you do? Gamers today - and remember around three in ten people play
computer games - will go to a gaming community online, and ask others
for advice. They will almost always find someone willing to help them
overcome the challenge. Other gamers will help for a variety of
reasons: they may get respect for their knowledge; their standing in
the community will improve; or they may simply be in a good mood that
day. But mostly they do it on the principle of reciprocity.

Common in social capital literature, reciprocity means nothing less
than you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. This principle is
limited if there are only two people, and only two backs. It works
better if reciprocity is distributed: I will scratch your back,
because this will create a system in which back scratching is the
norm, and when I need my back scratched, someone will do it for me.

In politics, as in computer games, reciprocity means helping someone
because, at some unspecified point in the future, you will need
someone else to help you out too. It is the rational realisation of
'do unto others as you would have done to yourself'.

What you definitely do not do when stuck in a computer game (or how
to load it, or how to make it work better) is e-mail the software
designer and ask them to make the game easier or better. Yet this is
precisely the current British government's strategy for e-democracy.
Got a problem? Go take part in an impenetrable consultation exercise
that might, in some distant way, improve the system. Not exactly a
hot selling proposition.

The game analogy holds because, for most people, politics is like
being stuck in a really difficult computer game. Government
bureaucracy - the software designer - is a total irrelevance to their
daily lives. Citizens rub up against the state in numerous
complicated ways: bins need to be taken out, unemployment benefits
collected, and doctors visited. But the process of deliberative
politics is not part of everyday life.

This is why we have a pluralist theory of democracy. Interest groups,
the media, and other functional groups represent the interests of
people in a battle of ideas. The basic foundation of democracy - that
I should be able to have a fair shot at influencing a decision that
affects me (if I can be bothered to) - sits within this framework.

In everyday life, however, most people encounter problems. Some of
these problems are caused, not solved, by the action of the state. By
this I do not mean theoretical concepts such as regulatory capture,
inefficient use of public money, or government disconnection from the
views of ordinary people. I mean that tax forms are a real pain. I
mean that paying council tax is complicated, and finding a good
school for your daughter is time consuming. Starting a new business
is a nightmare, and trying to work out how much of a pension
contribution you should be making is difficult. These are everyday
problems that government is pretty good at creating, but not very
good at fixing.

These problems are exactly the same as getting stuck in a computer
game. They are life problems - obstacles to be overcome. The best way
to overcome them is to find someone else who has done it before, and
get them to help you. And this is where the internet can really help.

The democracy application

Network technology is very good at bringing people together, if they
have a reason for getting together in the first place. It is, as
anyone who has surfed will know, a veritable haven for cranks and
obsessives of all varieties. But it is also the most incredible fund
of distributed intelligence ever conceived.

It allows the aggregation of distributed and networked knowledge, and
makes it accessible to pretty much anyone with a bit of skill and a
modem. For computer games players, or financial investors, or stamp
collectors, it is a dream come true. It can also be for citizens.

The question is: how can you translate this self-evident quality of
the network into an application which can help people overcome life
problems, or participate in civic communications with others
interested in the same issue? At present, this is the problem: you
can't. Why not? Because no one has developed the application.

Application is another way of saying programme or software. It is a
thing that uses the power of the internet in a relevant and useful
way. Internet Explorer is an 'application' which allows users to see
HTML code as web pages. More famously, Napster, the music file
sharing system, was an application that allowed you to download
music. It was developed by a 19-year-old called Shawn Fanning.

Fanning's story is internet folklore. A young techy gets an idea.
After a considerable amount of time spent in his bedroom, he
developed an application that would allow others like him, albeit
illegally, to swap compressed music files. It took off, and the music
industry will never be the same again. Other applications have since
been written which do the same thing, but better or faster or with
less central control. But it needed an application to work in the
first place.

The point is that it required someone to develop the application.
Napster was useable, cool, and fulfilled a previously unavailable
function. It introduced file sharing - or peer-to-peer (P2P)
technology - to a mass audience.

Andrew Schapiro, author of The Control Revolution, thinks that
Napster remains the defining lesson in how the internet changes
static systems: "when you are thinking about this always ask 'Napster
is to music as X is to Y'." So: Napster is to music as what is to
politics? Who is developing Citizster, or Polster?

The problem is, we do not know yet. But, somewhere, someone should be
developing it. My contention is that the role for the state should be
to fund people to do this. They should be giving money to
civic-minded groups, or 19-year-old kids, to develop applications
that will help meet social goals.

This is exactly what happens in broadcasting, where the state (and by
extension all of us) ladles out millions every year to develop
socially beneficial television and radio programmes. This is done,
quite rightly, because it is socially useful. The same should be true
with software. I call this idea 'civic hacking'.

Hacking in this case does not mean computer piracy, or breaking into
computer systems. Instead I take the original meaning, a process of
designing software in an open collaborative way. It is defined as:
"The belief that information-sharing is a powerful positive good, and
that it is an ethical duty of hackers to share their expertise by
writing free software and facilitating access to information and to
computing resources wherever possible." A Hacker is someone who
follows these principles in the development of software, not someone
who tries to electronically break into Fort Knox. Click for more
'Hacker-information'

Funding civic hacking

The website Meetup is a good example of civic hacking. It is not an
application as such, but it is based on much the same idea. The site
allows people with common interests to meet up with each other.

Let us imagine that Mr Kennedy moved to a new town, and wanted to
meet other people who were interested in the works of J S Mill, the
principles of social justice, and popular news quiz shows. But Mr
Kennedy does not know anyone like that. He could go on to Meetup, and
register his interests. When enough other people have done the same,
the site sends you an e-mail and suggests you meet for a drink.

Equally, the British website UpMyStreet recently launched a site
called Conversations, in which people from a local area can initiate
discussions about topics of interest in their street or local area.
Both are a simple idea. They will not make anyone a gazillion
dollars, but they could become useful tools for the social capitalist
and ways of making social connections. And both required someone to
develop software to make it happen.

A civic hacking fund could help develop similar ideas. At the moment
there is a market failure, in as much as people tend not to make
money off these types of application, no matter how socially useful
they are. The applications that can help people help each other need
state funding to get going.

I stress this is not the total answer. It will not end disengagement
as we know it. It will be completely useless for people who are not
online. It will also not be any help to people who cannot be bothered
with politics full stop. But then these are the sorts of people who,
for the foreseeable future, are not going to go anywhere near a
political website anyway.

But, in a decade or so, everyone in the country will be online. Most
people will have made the internet part of their everyday life. By
this time we need to have developed useful programmes - Napsters for
civic life, Meetups for democracy - which people will want to use.
And that means we need to start doing so now.

The e-democracy ethic

The question is simple: what is the ethic of e-democracy? What is the
underlying principle that should guide us in this process of
development? The current consensus is that money and time should be
spent developing new ways of allowing citizens to interact with
parliament and the state. It claims that representation is the ethic
of e-democracy. I disagree.

Marshal McLuhan's dictum was: "The medium is the message". At base,
this means that certain media, or mediums, are good at doing
different things. The internet is peculiarly effective at connecting
groups of people together. In fact, this is what it does best.

So, a sensible strategy would start on this principle. But the people
it should be connecting are not citizens and parliamentarians, or
voters and civil servants. It should be connecting ordinary people
with other ordinary people. And there should be applications that
help these people to help each other. A programme supporting civic
hacking can do this.

This should become the ethic of e-democracy: mutual-aid and self-help
among citizens, helping to overcome civic problems. It would
encourage a market in application development. It would encourage
self-reliance, or community-reliance, rather than reliance on the
state.

Such a system would be about helping people to help themselves. It
would create electronic spaces in which the communicative power of
the internet can be used to help citizens help each other overcome
life's challenges. Most importantly, by making useful applications,
it would help make participatory democracy seem useful too.

Bottom line: it is a political project. It needs backers. Any
champion of e-democracy should take up the fight.

Copyright © James Crabtree, 2003. Published by openDemocracy.