[Reader-list] In Kashmir, parents fear a witch-hunt

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Mar 20 05:59:36 IST 2003

The Indian Express
  March 19, 2003

In Kashmir, parents fear a witch-hunt
Muzamil Jaleel

Srinagar, March 18: They sold their land, spent family fortunes and
travelled hundreds of kilometres, believing they had escaped the
violence in the Valley. But the arrest of two Kashmiri agriculture
students in Uttar Pradesh, on the charge of being Jaish-e-Mohammed
activists, has returned fear to homes in the Valley as more and more
parents are beginning to worry for the children they sent out.

The state government too is shaken and CM Mufti Mohammed Sayeed plans
to take up the matter with Deputy Prime Minister L K Advani and UP CM
Mayawati.

Sources say Sayeed is going to seek ''an immediate end to this police
witch-hunt of Kashmiri students.'' His daughter and PDP
vice-president Mehbooba Mufti will be visiting Muzaffarnagar and
Shamli in western UP tomorrow to restore confidence among Kashmiri
students there.

National Conference president and MP Omar Abdullah has also urged
Advani to intervene and stop ''harassment'' of Kashmiri students in
UP. In a statement today, Omar said Kashmiri students in Meerut and
Ghaziabad were living in constant fear of police.

Over the years, almost 20,000 Kashmiri boys and girls have left the
Valley for professional courses or jobs, especially in Karnataka,
Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Delhi. Besides, there are several
hundreds studying or working in hotels, small companies and call
centres in Delhi.

The arrests saw a surge after the attack on Red Fort and Parliament,
when Kashmiris topped the security agencies' list of usual suspects.
There were several instances where innocent youths were rounded up in
the process.

On March 12, Ajaz Hussain Jan of Bandipore - he's a B.Sc agriculture
final year student at Rashtriya Kisan Post Graduate College, Shamli -
was arrested along with his classmate, Mehraj-ud-din Sheikh of
Handwara, from Muzzafarnagar in UP.

Within a few days, two more Kashmiri students were arrested and
expulsion notices issued by the college authorities to several
others. Two of Ajaz's relatives, Khursheed Alam Jan and Hafizullah
Jan, who went to see him in Shamli were also detained by police.

While the family and police sources say they were arrested on Sunday,
Muzaffarnagar SSP B R Meena claims the two were held on Monday
morning for questioning to get details about the family, and released
the same day. He admits they found nothing to link the two with the
Jaish-e-Mohammed.

''Our father was killed by unidentified gunmen in 1995. For his
safety, my mother wanted Ajaz to go away. How can he be a militant?''
questions Asif Jan, Ajaz's younger brother.

''He completed Class XI and XII there and then joined B.Sc.
(Agriculture). He was here in December, preparing for his final exams
on March 20. We were expecting him back with an agriculture degree in
a few months.''

Khalid Muzzafar, Bandipore sub-divisional police officer, admits he
cross-checked Azaj's credentials and that ''there is no information
of his involvement with any militant group''. Indicating he is
concerned at the spate of such arrests outside the state, Inspector
General of Police, Kashmir range, K Rajendra says: ''I have
personally written to the Director General of UP police, saying we
should be informed about any such arrests so that the antecedents of
the youths are checked here.''

The Resident Commissioner of the J-K government in New Delhi,
Khursheed Ahmad Ganai, also met deputy commissioners of
Muzzafarnagar, Meerut and Saharanpur recently and urged them to
ensure that Kashmiri students there are not ostracised.

Sitting far away in Kashmir, Ajaz's family isn't convinced by such
assurances. ''We don't know how to prove him innocent,'' says Asif.
''Everybody believes when police arrest a Kashmiri outside. And
there's no way to prove them wrong.''

Another publicised case was the arrest of four Kashmiri youths in
Thane on October 23, 2001, who were paraded as Hizbul Mujahideen
militants. They were charged with arms possession, accused of
plotting to kill prominent Maharashtra politicians and handed over to
J-K police. But the investigation that followed came up with little
to prove that the four, who worked as security guards, were
militants. The Thane police returned with more evidence and they were
sentenced to life imprisonment recently.

Then there was the Punjab case, where a group of Kashmiri youth from
Shopian were intercepted by police near Amritsar and called
''dangerous terrorists.'' This seemed even more incredulous as these
youngsters were actually Mirzayis on their way back from Qadiyan, a
holy place for the sect. Says IGP Rajendra: ''We were also surprised
when we heard about these arrests. There's no one from this community
who has ever been involved with militancy.''

Kashmiri parents who had couged up hard-earned money to send their
children outside the state are devastated at the turn of events. ''I
sold family land to pay capitation fees for my sons. I wanted to keep
them away from the trouble and uncertainty in Kashmir. But now that
seems more dangerous,'' says Ali Mohammad Khanday, whose two teenaged
sons are studying in Bangalore.

Adil Manzoor, who studies computers in Delhi, says he can feel the
distrust in the eyes of even his colleagues. ''Whenever there's an
incident, they joke about our involvement. We know most of the time
they mean it.''