[Reader-list] Shoot Movies, Not Iraqis

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Mar 24 16:21:27 IST 2003

#1.

http://www.guerrillanews.com/
Guerrilla of the Week
Editor's Pick,  March 24, 2003

Well, it wasn't quite as dramatic as Marlon Brando's 1972 boycott of
an Oscar for Best Actor, but last night's Academy Award ceremony
featured some rather inspired demonstrations of thespian dissent.

Michael Moore led the charge when, after capping off the brilliant
run of Bowling for Columbine with the award for Best Documentary
Feature, he appeared on stage with his fellow nominees. Using every
inch of his national prime time real estate, the perennial outsider
launched into a blustery tirade, almost completed before the band
began to play over him.

"I have invited my fellow documentary nominees on the stage with us,
and we would like to - they're here in solidarity with me because we
like nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times.
We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that
elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man
sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it's the fictition
of duct tape or fictition of orange alerts we are against this war,
Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush, shame on you. And any time you got
the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up. Thank you
very much."

Even better was his post-Oscar press conference which can be viewed
through the Oscar site
[http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/win_32297.html].

Of course, there were other notable mentions and references to the
war. But one that really deserves mention is that of Best Actor
winner, Adrien Brody. For those who have not seen his devastating
performance in The Pianist, it was one of those rare artistic
expressions that are able personify a generation's pain and loss, in
this case, from the ravages of war. And so it was not surprising that
he would want to use his time to make some mention of the crisis in
Iraq. The only difference was that Adrien, wary of the device that
conquered Michael Moore's speech, simply commanded the music to stop.

"And you know, wait one second. One second, please one second. Cut it
out, cut it out. I get one shot at this. I'm sorry. I didn't say more
than five names, I don't think, but. This is, you know, it fills me
with great joy, but I am also filled with a lot of sadness tonight
because I am accepting an award at such a strange time. And you know
my experiences of making this film made me very aware of the sadness
and the dehumanization of people at times of war. And the
repercussions of war. And whatever you believe in, if it's God or
Allah, may he watch over you and let's pray for a peaceful and swift
resolution. Thank you. And I have a friend from Queens who's a
soldier in Kuwait right now, Tommy Zarabinski, and I hope you and
your boys make it back real soon. God bless you guys. I love you.
Thank you very much."

o o o

#2.

http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/
The Online Beat
by John Nichols

"Shoot Movies, Not Iraqis"

03/24/2003 @ 01:03am

Well, we can rest assured that the Academy Awards voting is not rigged.

Going into Sunday night's Oscars' ceremony, it was a safe bet that,
if the people who run the movie-industry's annual prize patrol had
their druthers, anti-war filmmaker Michael Moore would not have
gotten anywhere near a microphone. Moore, who wore a badge reading,
"Shoot Movies, Not Iraqis," when he accepted an Independent Spirit
Award the night before, had promised that if he won an Oscar he would
use his acceptance speech to make an issue of Bush's war. With
right-wing talk radio hosts and members of the Congressional Yahoo
Caucus already ranting and roaring about unpatriotic celebrities, the
pressure was on to avoid controversy.

But, to a greater extent than just about anyone in Hollywood, Moore
embraces controversy. And the Academy of Motion Picture Arts &
Sciences voters who decided the winner of the best documentary
feature competition embraced Moore's "Bowling for Columbine," a
hilarious and haunting examination of gun violence, poverty and the
media in America. The Academy voters gave the rabble-rousing
filmmaker, author and activist an Oscar for his documentary -- as
well as an opportunity to deliver 45-seconds of "message" to the
world.

Moore took the stage, and immediately took after Bush and the war in Iraq.

Surrounded by his fellow nominees in the best documentary category,
Moore announced, "They're here in solidarity with me because we like
nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We
live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect
a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending
us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it's the fictition of duct
tape or (the) fictition of Orange Alerts, we are against this war,
Mr. Bush."

As the packed auditorium at Hollywood's Kodak Theater erupted with a
wild mix of applause and booing, Moore yelled: "Shame on you, Mr.
Bush, shame on you." He closed by referencing the international
opposition to the U.S. attack on Iraq -- which includes everyone from
religious leaders to country music stars. Addressing Bush, Moore
said, "Any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you,
your time is up."

Moore's was not the only anti-war voice heard at what may well have
been the most politically-charged Academy Awards ceremony ever.
Dozens of stars wore peace pins and Artists United to Win Without War
badges. As he introduced a song from the film "Frida," which tells
the story of radical artist Frida Kahlo, actor Gael Garcia Bernal
interrupted his scripted remarks to say, "The necessity for peace in
the world is not a dream. It is a reality, and we are not alone. If
Frida was alive, she would be on our side, against war."

Actress Barbra Streisand defended free speech rights. Actress Susan
Sarandon flashed a peace sign as she appeared on the stage. Spanish
director Pedro Almodóvar, an outspoken foe of the war who won the
best original screenplay award for his film "Talk to Her," dedicated
his Oscar "to all the people that are raising their voices in favor
of peace, respect of human rights, democracy and international
legality." And Nicole Kidman, who won the best actress Oscar for
playing Virginia Woolf in "The Hours," spoke of the pain of "families
losing people" in a time of war.

Actor Adrien Brody, who won the best actor Oscar for her performance
in the Holocaust-themed film "The Pianist," expressed his great joy
at the unexpected honor. He then insisted on a bit more time to say,
"I am also filled with a lot of sadness tonight because I am
accepting an award at such a strange time. And you know my
experiences of making this film made me very aware of the sadness and
the dehumanization of people at times of war. And the repercussions
of war. And whatever you believe in, if it's God or Allah, may he
watch over you and let's pray for a peaceful and swift resolution."

Accepting the best supporting actor award for his role in the film
"Adaptation," actor Chris Cooper closed his speech with a succinct
message: "In light of all the troubles in the world, I wish us all --
peace."