[Reader-list] Muzamil Jaleel - Midnight massacre pushes Valley to brink

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Mar 25 04:02:29 IST 2003

The Indian Express, March 25, 2003

Midnight massacre pushes Valley to brink
24 Kashmiri Pandits shot outside a police outpost

Muzamil Jaleel

Nadimarg (pulwama), March 24: To the milestones in the Valley's
blood-drenched road, add one more: Nadimarg. Exactly three years and
four days after the Chittisinghpora massacre, terror sneaked in at
midnight again in this remote village in south Kashmir, dragged out
the sleeping minority Hindus, 11 men, 11 women and two infants and
sprayed them with bullets.

The massacre, coming a day after the killing of moderate Hizbul
leader Majid Dar, has not only shattered the three-month-old calm
since the Mufti government took charge, it also threatens to push the
Valley once again to its familiar brink.

So gruesome was this killing that even in a place where trauma and
tragedy have become cliches, everyone, from the media to the
administration, was searching for adjectives. Consider this:

* Suraj had gone to sleep after celebrating his third birthday. His
mother, among those who was asked to come out and fall in line, tried
to hide him behind her. The first bullet got the mother, the second
his father, then another crushed Suraj's right toe, shearing off
three fingers. One and a half hours later, he died crying.

* Monu was just 2-year-old. The bullets had made sieve of his chest.
His three-month old brother is the only survivor in the family. His
parents too were killed next to him.

* Pritima, a 23-year-old woman who could not walk because of a
disability, was dragged out and shot dead.

* Mohan Lal Bhat, 19, spent the day today looking at his father,
mother, sister and uncle, all covered in white, their names scrawled
in blue ink on the cotton.

A Muslim woman offering water to the family member of a Kashmiri
Pandit killed on Monday. Javeed Shah
* The first two bullets hit Chunni Lal in his thigh and arm. He fell
down and found himself in a pile of bodies. As the guns fell silent,
the gunmen came to check for any living. In a pool of blood, he held
his breath, feigned dead and thus survived to tell the story.

* Phoola Devi (60) slipped away from the line and hid herself in the
bushes just metres from the massacre site. Gripped with fear, she had
to watch her husband Bansilal and 22-year-old daughter Rajni die
crying for help.

The irony is that this Kashmiri Hindu hamlet had a police picket too
and the massacre took place right in its compound. Out of the nine
policemen supposed to guard the Hindus, three were absent while the
other six were sleeping. In fact, the unidentified killers had first
barged into their picket, collected their guns and kept them locked
inside till half of the residents were done to death.

''I was about to go to sleep when there was a knock at the door. My
mother opened the door and there were three men wearing army uniforms
(olive green), helmets and bullet-proof vests. Two of them were
bearded and they asked everybody to come out,'' said Mohan Lal Bhat,
whose entire family was wiped out in the massacre. ''One of them
spoke in Kashmiri which roused suspicion and when my father tried to
resist, they dragged him out. Then they dragged out my mother, sister
and uncle. I heard the commotion on the door and hid behind a tin
sheet upstairs,'' he said. Within 15 minutes, Bhat said, he heard the
gun shots and wails. ''I spent the entire night there in shock and
disbelief''.

Eyewitnesses revealed that a group of 12 men armed with AK rifles and
attired in olive green uniforms, bullet-proof vests and helmets,
swooped on this remote village, 80 km south of Srinagar, at around
9.45 last night.

''They told us that they were armymen and had to search the houses.
They asked everybody to come out,'' said Phoola Devi. ''I came out
with my husband and daughter. But when they asked us to line up in
front of the police picket, I slipped away towards the bushes. Within
seconds, they started firing indiscriminately,'' she said. ''And when
they (the gunmen) left the village, I looked for my family. My
husband and daughter were lying dead but my son Chandji had also
escaped. He had hidden inside the house.''

In Chittisinghpra, a group of unidentified gunmen had swooped on a
Sikh village, lined up 36 men and shot them dead on March, 20, 2000.
There was no change in the modus operandi - the only difference is
that this time around, the killers did not even spare the women and
children.

The village was full of people as the entire Muslim neighbourhood had
come to join the mourning. There was also a beeline of politicians
from government to the separatist parties. The first to arrive was
the Pradesh Congress chief Ghulam Nabi Azad who put the blame
squarely on Pakistan and promised strengthening of security to the
Kashmiri Pandits still living in the Valley.

''The security provided to the 9,000-odd Kashmiri Hindus who had not
migrated in 1990 should be the priority of the government,'' he said.
Senior Hurriyat Conference leader and JKLF chief Yasin Malik had also
come along with another separatist leader Nayeem Khan.

''It is a shameful act against humanity. It is brutality and nobody
can accept such a heineous crime,'' he said. '

'We want an impartial probe into this heineous massacre and the
Hurriyat Conference will fully co-operate,'' he said. He said that
the problem of Kashmiri Pandits has nothing to do with Kashmir
dispute. ''They are an essential part of Kashmir. This tragedy is a
human issue and has nothing to do with any politics''.

Another senior separatist leader Shabir Shah arrived in the afternoon
as the police and local administration were waiting for Chief
minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.

He immediately took over and soon the villagers -both Hindu and
Muslim - started shouting slogans of unity and against the
unidentified killers. There was a lot of commotion in the crowd when
Mufti arrived along with his daughter Mehbooba and senior ministers
of his administration. Mufti called the massacre a ''major setback to
the peace process.''

As the bodies were being taken for the funeral, an old man was
bitterly crying on the verandah of his house. ''I have not just lost
my family. I feel my roots have ditched me. I will never belong to
Kashmir again,'' he said.