[Reader-list] more on the media war from fisk

Ravi Sundaram ravis at sarai.net
Tue Mar 25 15:45:24 IST 2003

Fisk is reporting from Baghdad...

The shocking truth about 'shock and awe'
So far, the Anglo-American armies are handing their propaganda to the
Iraqis on a plate. First, on Saturday, we were told – courtesy of the BBC –
that Umm Qasr, the tiny Iraqi seaport on the Gulf, had "fallen". Why cities
have to "fall" on the BBC is a mystery to me; the phrase comes from the
Middle Ages when city walls literally collapsed under siege. Then we were
told – again on the BBC – that Nasiriyah had been captured. Then its
"embedded" correspondent informed us – and here my old journalistic
suspicions were alerted – that it had been "secured".

Why the BBC should use the meretricious military expression "secured" is
also a mystery to me. "Secured" is meant to sound like "captured" but
almost invariably means that a city has been bypassed or half-surrounded
or, at the most, that an invading army has merely entered its suburbs. And
sure enough, within 24 hours, the Shia Muslim city west of the junction of
the Euphrates and Tigress rivers proved to be very much unsecured, indeed
had not been entered in any form – because at least 500 Iraqi troops,
supported by tanks, were still fighting there.

With what joy did Taha Yassin Ramadan, the Iraqi Vice President, inform us
all yesterday that "they claimed they had captured Umm Qasr but now you
know this is a lie". With what happiness did Mohamed Said al-Sahaff, the
Iraqi Information Minister, boast yesterday that Basra was still "in Iraqi
hands", that "our forces" in Nasiriyah were still fighting.

And well could they boast because, despite all the claptrap put out by the
Americans and British in Qatar, what the Iraqis said on this score was
true. The usual Iraqi claims of downed US and British aircraft – four
supposedly "shot down" around Baghdad and another near Mosul – were given
credibility by the Iraqi ability to prove that the collapse of their forces
in the south was untrue – quite apart from the film of prisoners obtained
last night.
We know that the Americans are again using depleted uranium munitions in
Iraq, just as they did in 1991. But yesterday, the BBC told us that US
Marines had called up an A-10 strike aircraft to deal with "pockets of
resistance" – a bit more military-speak from the BBC – but failed to
mention that the A-10 uses depleted uranium rounds. So for the first time
since 1991, we – the West – are spraying these uranium aerosols in
battlefield explosions in southern Iraq; and we're not being told. Why not?

And where, for God's sake, does that wretched, utterly dishonest phrase
"coalition forces" come from? There is no "coalition" in this Iraq war.
There are the Americans and the British and a few Australians. That's it.
The "coalition" of the 1991 Gulf War does not exist. The "coalition" of
nations willing to "help" with this illegitimate conflict includes, by a
vast stretch of the imagination, even Costa Rica and Micronesia and, I
suppose, poor old neutral Ireland, with its transit rights for US military
aircraft at Shannon. But they are not "coalition forces". Why does the BBC
use this phrase? Even in the Second World War, which so many journalists
think they are now reporting, we didn't use this lie. When we landed on the
coast of North Africa in Operation Torch, we called it an "Anglo-American
landing".

And this is an Anglo-American war, whether we – and I include the "embedded
ones" – like it or not. The Iraqis are sharp enough to remember all this.
At first, they announced that captured US or British troops would be
treated as mercenaries, a decision that Saddam himself wisely corrected
yesterday when he stated that all prisoners would be treated "according to
the Geneva Convention".

All in all, then, this has not been a great weekend for Messrs Bush and
Blair. Nor, of course, for Saddam although he's been playing at wars for
almost half the lifetime of Tony Blair. And even those journalists who have
most bravely tried to see for themselves what is going on without the
protection of their armies – an ITV crew near Nasiriyah, for example – are
in mortal peril of their lives.

So here's a question from one who believed, only a week ago, that Baghdad
might just collapse and that we might wake up one morning to find the
Baathist militia and the Iraqi army gone and the Americans walking down
Saadun Street with their rifles over their shoulders. If the Iraqis can
still hold out against such overwhelming force in Umm Qasr for four days,
if they can keep fighting in Basra and Nasiriyah – the latter a city that
briefly rose in revolt against Saddam's regime in 1991 – why should
Saddam's forces not keep fighting in Baghdad?

Certainly, Iraqi history will not be complete without a new story of
"martyrdom" in the country's eternal battle against foreign occupiers. The
last fighters of Um Qasr will become, in the years to come – whatever the
fate of Saddam – men of song and legend. The Egyptians long ago did the
same for their men killed at Suez in 1956.
Of course, this might all be a miscalculation. The pack of cards may be
more flimsy that we think. But suddenly, this weekend, the quick and easy
war, the conflict of "shock and awe" – the Pentagon's phrase is itself a
classic slogan from the pages of the old Nazi magazine Signal – doesn't
seem so realistic. Things are going wrong. We are not telling the truth.
And the Iraqis are riding high on it all.