[Reader-list] No. 2: Nandimarg Massacre, Kashmir - Statements / Press Coverage

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Mar 28 07:04:15 IST 2003

[28 March 2003]

Second Compilation of material on the Massacre in Nandimarg [Kashmir]
23, March 2003 *

A : Declarations and Statements by Citizens Groups and Governments
B : Op-Ed.s and Reports

------------

A. : Declarations  and Statements by Citizens Groups and Governments

#1.

Pakistan India Peoples' Forum for Peace & Democracy
(India Chapter)

Press Release
25th March 2003

Condemn killings of innocent people in Kashmir

The Pakistan India Peoples' Forum for Peace and Democracy condemn the
barbaric incident whereby alleged militant groups have killed 24
innocent people belonging to the Kashmiri Pandit community. As per
media reports, the dead include 11 women, 2 children and 9 male
adults.

Triggered by religious fundamentalism, incidents like this hamper all
attempts to bring peace back to the blood-ridden Kashmir Valley.
Incidents like these are not only attempted at sabotaging the peace
initiatives in Kashmir, but also are aimed at maligning the secular
and harmonious fabric of Kashmir. We condemn all such attempts at
terrorising the people or any section of it, by armed groups or
individuals.

In this hour of grief, we join the families of those killed and
injured in the incident at NADIMARG in South Kashmir. We request the
Kashmir state government to institute a high-level enquiry into the
incident bringing to book all those who committed this inhuman act.

We call upon all peace loving people of Kashmir and rest of India to
refrain from any act of violence, which will further worsen the
present turmoil existing in the state.

We strongly believe that such attempts at disrupting initiatives for
peace will not succeed and that the people of Kashmir will not
tolerate any violation of the right to life of all citizens.

On Behalf of PIPFPD,

Admiral Ramdas                                                   Sushil Khanna

Chairperson, India Chapter                       G. Secretary

_____

#2.

A Public Statement
March 25, 2003

A cowardly, yet horrendously brutal, killing of innocent people has
shattered the Kashmir Valley again.

In the nightly hours of March 23, twenty-four men, women and children
were gunned down by unknown attackers in the village of Nadimarg
(Pulwama). The victims were all Hindu Pandits of Kashmir.

We in SANSAD (South Asian Network for Secularism and Democracy) and
in INSAF (International South Asia Forum) utterly condemn this savage
act, this crime against humanity.

When members of any particular community are subjected to brutal
killings - whether they are Sikhs in Punjab, Christians, Dalits,
Tribals and Muslims in Gujarat and elsewhere, the fragile secular and
democratic make-up of the Indian society goes through another
challenging test.

For over twelve years now, the people of Kahmir have been subjected
to a never-ending vortex of violence. The entire people have been
turned into helpless victims of the terror inflicted by the
contending forces, while their genuine aspirations for peace,
dignity, and democratic rights of self-determination remain crushed.

It is very unfortunate that every time there is some movement toward
normalization of social relations, some movement toward peace in the
entire region, it becomes disrupted by such wanton and melicious acts
of interruption. It is obvious that there are vested interests who do
not want the Kashmir problem to be solved.

That the secular and harmonious aspects of the Kashmiri society have
yet not been destroyed is indicated by the manner in which the entire
community in the village of Nadimarg came together to mourn the
deaths of the innocents. Muslim men and women wiped their own tears
and those of the survivors of the Hindu families.

  ''We don't believe this could happen here,'' said Khatija Bano, a
Muslim housewife. ''I am shocked. Why will anybody kill these poor
people? They had nothing to do with anything. They were struggling
like all of us for two meals a day here in this far off village,''
she said. ''They had not left the village because they had always
felt safe here. It is their home like it is our home''.

It is noteworthy that all the Muslim, Christian, Sikh and the
democratic/secular organizations have strongly condemned this ghastly
act, and have demanded from the Government of India and of Jammu and
kashmir to find the culprits, and to take the necessary steps in
bringing security and a sense of dignity to all the people in Jammu
and Kashmir.

We in SANSAD and INSAF join these voices of sanity, and of goodwill.

Hari Sharma
president, SANSAD (South Asian Network for Secularism and Democracy)
president, INSAF (International South Asia Forum)

residence: 8027 Government Road, Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5A 2E1
phone: 604 - 420-2972
fax: 604 - 420-2970

_______

#3.

From: "Gadar Heritage Foundation"
Subject: [gadar13] (unknown) Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:24:09 +0000

Massacre of Kashmiri Pandits

We are shocked and horrified by the news of the inhuman and
unconscionable massacre of 24 innocent Kashmiri Pandit children,
women and men in Pulwama district of Kashmiri Valley late last night.
We condemn this ghastly killing of defenceless people in the
strongest possible terms.

The cowards behind the latest outrage are unlikely to identify
themselves. But there can be do doubt that the latest massacre is a
desperate bid by those eager to communalise the Kashmir issue to
sabotage any effort towards ensuring the return of the Kashmiri
Pandits to their homes.

Our hearts go out to the survivors of the carnage in particular, and
the Kashmiri Pandit community in general, the overwhelming majority
of whom have been condemned to live the life of refugees in their own
country because of Pakistan-aided terrorism in the Valley. We demand
an urgent review of the security arrangements for Kashmiri Pandits
throughout the Valley and immediate and adequate compensation for the
families of those killed by the J&K government.

The J&K chief minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed has called it “[an]
unpardonable crime by militants to derail the peace process initiated
in J&K by the coalition government.” He has also said he has asked
the security forces to launch a massive manhunt and bring the killers
to the book for "these gun-wielding militants deserve no mercy."

However, we also demand a thorough investigation in the security
lapses that turned the vulnerable Kashmiri Pandits into easy targets
of mass murderers who pretend to be serving lofty causes.

Signatories:

Javed Anand (Co-editor, Communalism Combat, Mumbai)
Teesta Setalvad (Co-editor, Communalism Combat, Mumbai)
Javed Akhtar (Poet and Lyricist)
Shabana Azmi, (Rajya Sabha MP, social activist and actress).
Dr. Agni Shekhar (Panun Kashmir)
Askok Pandit (Panun Kashmir)
Mahesh Bhatt, Film director
Farooque Shaikh, films, theatre and TV personality
Nikhil Wagle, Editor, Apla Mahanagar
Sajid Rashid, Editor, Hindi Mahanagar
Hasan Kamal, Lyricist and Columnist
Gulam Mohamed Peshimam,Businessman
Sushobha Barve, Social Activist
Javed Siddiqui, Writer
Aslam Parvaiz, Advertising
Farrukh S. Waris, Educationist
Syed Firoz Ashraf, Social Activist
Yacoob Rahee, Writer, Social Activist
Fazal Shaad, Social Activist
Abdulkader Mukadam, Columnist, Social Activist
Khan Ahmed Ali, Social Activist
Vaqar Kadvi, Social Activist
Shamim Tariq, Social Activist
Salem bin Razak, Social Activist
Muqaddar Hameed, Writer
Khan Ayub, Social Activist
Salim Alware, Social Activist

_______

#4.

Indian Muslim Federation (UK)
Press Release - For Immediate Issue
Dated: 26 March 2003

A COLD BLOODED MASSACRE

The Indian Muslim Federation (UK) condemns the barbaric massacre of
innocent 24 Kashmiri Pandits and their families including women and
children  on Monday in village Nandimarg of Pulwama in South of
Kashmir, India.

"This is the most horrific cold-blooded murder. It is one of the
darkest days of the valley. These marauder robots have no feelings,
no shame and no religion - Savages who have no regards for human
lives. It is about time that the Indian Government should take
effective steps to check this trans-border terrorism" said Shamsuddin
Agha, the President of Indian Muslim Federation (UK).

"Our hearts go to the grieving families of the victims who have
suffered irrecoverable loss. May the souls of the departed rest in
peace" Shamsuddin Agha further added.

Press release issued by:
Indian Muslim Federation (UK)
Trinity Close, London E11 4 RP
Tel: +44 20 8558 6399
Fax: +44 20 8539 0486

_______

#5.

NRIS FOR SECULAR & HARMONIOUS INDIA
115 W.  238th Street, Bronx, New York 10463
Friday, March 28th 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

           NRIS CONDEMN KASHMIR MASSACRE

                         New York, New York—“We the Non Resident
Indians strongly condemn the killing of 24 innocent Hindus in the
village of Nadimarg in Kashmir valley recently.  Terrorists posing as
security force.  The merciless brutes did not even spare women and
children, killing eleven women and two children

             “The Hindu Kashmiri Pandits are blood brothers of many of
the Muslim Kashmiri Pandits and had enjoyed warm relationship with
each other. They have common ancestors; common traditions until the
separatist and terrorist created a gulf between them by taking to
violence for their own political ends.

“Historically, India has led the world in pursuit of peace,
tranquility and maintaining communal harmony among people of all
faiths.  It is sad to see these ancient values and wisdom challenged
by the political culture of today.

            “Sufferings of the people of Kashmir, both Hindus and
Muslims, but especially the attacks on Kashmiri Hindus in a clear
attempt at forcing them to migrate out of the Kashmir valley, are
deplorable and must be stopped at once.
             “We the undersigned individuals and groups represent the
broadest cross section of Non Resident Indians of all faith and no
faith such as Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Parsees, Sikhs, Jains,
Buddhist, Atheists and others strongly urge the President, Prime
Minister, leaders of all political parties, religious and social
leaders, members of India’s Parliament and all other citizens of
India to urgently take these steps:

Ø     Identify The 'Guilty' And Vigorously Prosecute Them.
Ø     Provide Urgent Relief & Rehabilitation Help To The  Survivors
of The Massacre
Ø     Protect Against Future Attacks on  Hindus And Possible Backlash
Against Muslims
Ø     Form 'Sadbhavana Committees’ All Over The State Of Kashmir To
Strengthen Communal Harmony.

             “We offer our deepest condolences to the family members
of the 24 people killed in Nadigram and laud their courage for
staying back in Kashmir valley to preserve the unity and integrity of
India.

             “We salute you the brave people of Nadigram.  We stand
with you in your hour of grief and promise to work with you to defeat
the forces of hatred, communalism and separatism,” this statement was
released by Mr. Satinath Choudhary, the national co-coordinator of
Non Resident Indians for Secular and Harmonious India.

  Individuals:
Shrikumar Poddar, Okemos, Michigan, USA
K. S. Sripada Raju, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Devesh Poddar, Okemos, Michigan, USA
Najid Hussein, Bear, Delaware, USA
Satinath Choudhary, New York, New York, USA
Mayurika Poddar, Okemos, Michigan, USA

Organizations:
India Foundation, Lansing, Michigan
International Service Society, East Lansing, Michigan
Washington Watch Inc. East Lansing, Michigan
Vaishnava Center for Enlightenment, Lansing, Michigan
Educational Subscription Service, Lansing, Michigan
Seva International, Okemos, Michigan
India Development Society, East Lansing, Michigan
NRIs For Secular & Harmonious India, New York, NY, USA

_______

#6.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029391629&a=KArticle&aid=1048701995178

JOINT STATEMENT BY JACK STRAW & COLIN L POWELL ON VIOLENCE IN KASHMIR
(27/03/03)

The United States and the United Kingdom strongly condemn the
massacre of innocent civilians in Kashmir on March 23. Nothing can
justify such a vicious and cowardly act.

The United States and the United Kingdom condemn all terrorism
wherever it occurs and whatever its purported justification. We will
continue to work with our partners to eliminate this scourge.
Violence will not solve Kashmir's problems. Pending the resolution of
these problems, the LOC should be strictly respected and Pakistan
should fulfil its commitments to stop infiltration across it.
Pakistan should also do its utmost to discourage any acts of violence
by militants in Kashmir. Both sides should consider immediately
implementing a ceasefire and taking other active steps to reduce
tension including by moves within the SAARC context. The differences
between India and Pakistan can only be resolved through peaceful
means and engagement.

The United States and the United Kingdom stand ready to help both
countries to start a process aimed at building confidence,
normalising bilateral relations and resolving outstanding
differences, including Kashmir.

=======

B:  MEDIA COVERAGE:

Indian Press:

The Hindustan Times
Friday, March 28, 2003
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/printedition/280303/detPLA01.shtml

Death shall have no dominion
Balraj Puri

  Protests against the massacre at Nadimarg in Kashmir on March 24
have been more strident than against similar incidents before.
Despite the distraction of war in Iraq, the killing of 24 innocent
people that include 11 women and two children have been condemned by
national leaders as well as international ones.

The central and state governments have blamed Pakistan for the
carnage. Opposition parties and survivors of the victims have vented
their anger against the governments for the lapses of security and
intelligence agencies. Both accusations are not without basis.

The word 'condemnation' has lost its meaning by its excessive use in
Jammu and Kashmir. It has become too inadequate a response to the
pent-up anger of the people and fails to provide relief to injured
sentiments. The fresh assurances for their security given by
government leaders, therefore, received a cynical response at the
place of the tragedy.

More effective measures will, therefore, have to be considered by all
agencies concerned to prevent the recurrence of such tragedies and
inspire the confidence of the people. Any policy revision must,
however, take a closer look at a new dimension. The Muslims of
Kashmir are more shell-shocked this time than ever before. Not only
were the latest victims completely unconnected with any security or
government agency, but also they were not killed in any Hindu
majority area.

They were a minuscule minority in an almost entirely Muslim area and
were closely knit - ethnically, socially and emotionally - with the
majority community. They were a part of those prepared to share the
trials and tribulations of Kashmiri Muslims and who hadn't joined the
1990 Pandit exodus. They had demonstrated their faith in the Muslim
community and in the tenets of Islam.

More than a challenge to the Indian State and the fate of a few
thousand Kashmiri Pandits still left in the Valley, the Nadimarg
massacre is an insult to Islam. It is also an assault on the very
soul of Kashmir and the values of a unique civilisational heritage.

The wailing Muslim men and women in the funeral procession was not
merely a testimony to their genuine sympathy for the bereaved
families, but also to their sense of guilt and realisation that the
real target of the terrorists were the humane principles of their
religion and Kashmiriyat. The spontaneous slogans against
dehshatgardi (terrorism) indicated that they had no doubt who the
culprits were.

That all Kashmiri leaders and parties, including militants and
separatists, have condemned the massacre shows that they have
realised the strength of popular sentiment. However, the Hizbul
Mujahideen has accused Indian security forces of orchestrating the
massacre to defame its movement. The Hurriyat has demanded an
impartial probe to find out who are responsible for the barbaric act.

If the Indian State had organised a series of mass killings of
innocent Hindus and Sikhs - from Wandhama in Kashmir in 1998 to Rajiv
Nagar in Jammu in 2002 - would it have been possible for it to keep
it a secret? Such a decision, which can only be taken at the highest
level and implemented only after it's passed through a number of
channels and hundreds of operators, would have definitely been leaked
out - as it had been when the army mowed down five innocent locals
after branding them as terrorists responsible for the killing of 35
Sikhs at Chittisinghpora.

There may have been some grey areas in the past when some individuals
were killed and the identity of the killers could not be established.

It is also possible to understand the compulsions of separatist
leaders who can't ignore the warning implied in the fate of some
leaders of the movement suspected to have deviated from any 'official
line' of the militant leadership. The killings of dissident Hizb
leader Abdul Majid Dar and senior Hurriyat leader Abdul Gani Lone are
recent examples.

If an inquiry is needed, let Pervez Musharraf find out whether the
carnage was ordered by the ISI. He could also ascertain how much
control he has over those who carried out the Nadimarg massacre.
After all, the Pakistani general's anti-terrorism declarations have
lost all credibility and terrorists are a major threat to his regime
and to the stability of Pakistan. By diverting them to Kashmir, he
cannot become immune from the threat.

An inquiry is needed to find out the inadequacies and lapses in the
security system. It must also fix responsibility on individuals and
agencies who failed to protect a small group of innocent Kashmiri
pandits.

As far as Kashmir's movement for azadi is concerned, it's high time
that it's understood that the gun has outlived its utility. The
violent movement has reached a stage when like all violent
revolutions, it has started devouring its own children. The question
of who is responsible for the massacre at Nadimarg is less relevant
than the fact that gun culture has become the greatest liability for
the 'Kashmir cause'.

It was this realisation that made people defy militants' bullets and
the boycott call of separatists to take part in the elections in
October 2002. It may not stand to logic that all those who voted have
become anti-azadi. But there is little doubt that they have realised
that azadi is unachievable through the gun. Moreover, freedom from
misgovernance, corruption and nepotism, unemployment and economic
hardship is at least as important and more urgent than azadi from
India. The separatist leaders who had underrated the wisdom of the
people have lost some of their relevance.

The message from Nadimarg is equally unequivocal. Azadi will not be
worth having if in the process the soul of Kashmir is killed. The
foremost task in Kashmir is to save this soul and repair the injuries
that have been inflicted on it. Any leadership that can't read this
message will become irrelevant.

The writer is a senior journalist based in Jammu

o o o

The Hindu Thursday, Mar 27, 2003
http://www.hindu.com/stories/2003032702221200.htm

Rage against the dying of the light

By Syeda Saiyidain Hameed

It was Dylan Thomas who said, "Do not go gentle into the good night/
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." On Tuesday evening, some
of us, ordinary citizens and concerned people of Delhi raged. We
stood on Sansad Marg, across the road from Park Hotel, in solidarity
with the Kashmiri Pandits whose families had been gunned down in
Nadimarg village in Pulwama district of south Kashmir. We were
mourning the killing of 24 innocent villagers and demanding justice
for the survivors. Not even the most hard-hearted cynic could keep a
dry eye reading the blow-by-blow account of the event on March 25.

The pathos of a handful Pandits who had for 12 years braved the
scourge of terrorism and chosen to stay back in their beloved Valley,
is an expression of the most depraved mentality. Beasts masquerading
as humans in military fatigues brutally gunned down the last of them
sparing neither the smallest baby nor the most venerable elder. These
families had stayed back from the early 1990s on the strength of
support they got from their neighbours. These very neighbours, Muslim
women and men, were seen on TV screens and in photographs, crowding
around the grieving families, speechless with the horror they had
witnessed with their own eyes. And those who perpetrated the heinous
massacre, will to their dying day, carry the guilt not only of taking
24 innocent lives but also of having tried to deal a death blow to
very ethos of Kashmiriyat.

In this land of Sufis, made sacred by the teachings of Nund Reshi and
Lalla Arifa, who are these shaitani forces which kill innocent
children, women and men to create terror. Every time innocent blood
is spilt in Kashmir whether of Muslims, Sikhs or Hindus we read about
`unidentified gunmen' who enter at the dead of night, force the
villagers to line up for identification or tell them that they have
cordon and search orders.

Having lined up their prey, their guns then splatter innocent bodies
with bullets. Children's small bodies are seen riddled with holes,
before they are covered with white sheets. Women beat their breasts
when they see the faces of their loved ones for the last time before
the last rites are performed.

One entire generation of Kashmiris has been lost in this 12-year
dance of death. Can we forget the face of Prof. Mushirul Haq,
Vice-Chancellor, Kashmir University, when he was gunned down in 1991?
Or the face of Abdul Gani Lone who was showered with bullets last
year? Or the mass killings of Sikhs in Chattisinghpora three years
ago. Or Abdul Majeed Dar of Sopore two days ago and now the Kashmiri
Pandits. Kashmir has been a gallery of horrors.

On Tuesday, we all stood up. There was not much planning or
mobilisation. People came out spontaneously, nothing was more
important than standing on Sansad Marg for the victims of Pulwama. A
few of us spread the word and in a matter of two hours we had
representatives of over 30 civil society organisations such as the
Women's Initiative for Peace in South Asia, the All-India Democratic
Women's Association, the Indian Social Institute, Sangat, the Aman
Ekta Manch, the Muslim Women's Forum, Guild of Service, Jagori,
Saheli, Action Aid, the Women's Federation for World Peace, North
Eastern Network and Servants of People Society plus many, many
individuals who came in their personal capacity.

Our message was clear; namely, we won't let this go on. We won't
allow the peace process to be derailed. We are one with the Kashmiris
in their moment of sorrow. We demand that the central and state
government ensure that they will ruthlessly crush all elements who
will try to use this event for political gain. No reprisals, justice
for the families, and protection for the minorities. We will not go
gentle into the good night.

(The writer is Convener, Muslim Women's Forum.)

o o o

Kashmir Monitor
Editorial, March 25

"The brutal massacre of 24 innocent members of the minority community
at Pulwama has added yet another sordid chapter to the ongoing
separatist struggle in Jammu and Kashmir... "[It] has once again
exposed the inability of the state government to make adequate
security arrangements for the minority [Pandit] community who have
fallen to the bullets of unidentified gunmen more than once...

"The consistent killings have made clear that the killers are not
interested in peace in Kashmir. They want to keep the issue burning
by shedding innocent blood. This [is] the reason that the killers are
sabotaging every move aimed at peaceful resolution to the long
pending dispute. And Sunday night added yet another leaf in the
bloody history of Jammu and Kashmir."

o o o

Greater Kashmir
Editorial, March 25

"Whenever the political situation at the international level gets
hot, Kashmiris have been used as cannon fodder... After every
massacre both the militants and the [Kashmiri regional] government
have been putting the blame on each other. Every time various
quarters including the [separatist] Hurriyat Conference and even the
frontline militant outfits have demanded a probe by an impartial
agency and every time the government has rejected the demand. The
reluctance of the government to unveil the ugly faces behind such
brutal acts has been sending the wrong signals."

o o o

Kashmir Observer
Editorial, March 24

"It is shameful that the state government has failed to provide
security... at a time when it is making boastful statements of
bringing back the migrant Kashmiri Pandits and setting up separate
colonies for them. Governments are not run by making mere statements
or coining new slogans...

"Like his predecessors, the new government of the chief minister,
Mufti Mohammed Sayeed, also seems to be the captive of a section of
bureaucrats and sleuths who have been thriving on the prevailing
political uncertainty in the state. There is need for doing something
more than issuing ritualistic statements to prevent recurrence of
such carnage in the future.

"There is need for preventing the mysterious gun to take lives of
innocents. Whosoever is responsible for this monstrous act simply
cannot be a human being."

o o o

The Hindu, Thursday, Mar 27, 2003
http://www.hindu.com/stories/2003032702201200.htm
NHRC notice to Centre, J&K Govt.
By Our Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI MARCH 26. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has
asked the Union and Jammu and Kashmir Governments to submit reports
on the massacre of 24 Kashmiri Pandits in Nadimarg, which occurred
"despite the presence of a police picket there."

The NHRC also asked the Union Home Secretary and the Jammu and
Kashmir Chief Secretary to provide details of the measures taken or
planned to be taken to increase security of the Pandits in the State
and to ameliorate the suffering of the families of those killed or
traumatised.

Taking a suo motu cognisance of the killings, the Commission said
that such an "unspeakable act of violence,'' was "deeply hostile to
human rights, including the most fundamental of human rights - the
right to life."

The massacre, the Commission said, was "doubly reprehensible'' as it
had taken place at a time when fresh efforts were under way to bring
peace and reconciliation to the States.''

The NHRC said that it had received a petition from the Kashmiri
Samiti, copies of which had been sent to the State and Central
Governments.

o o o

Rediff.com
The Rediff Special/Basharat Peer in Nadimarg
Sorrow, fear rule over Kashmir
March 27, 2003

"Enter with your shoes on, there is no one left to stop you," a
hysterical youth surrounded by a group of wailing women shouts from a
barely lit room.

In the courtyard of this mud-and-brick house there are more men and
women, all crying. Nine occupants of this house were among the 24
persons -- men, women, children -- who were lined up in a neighbour's
courtyard and sprayed with bullets by militants on Sunday night.

Every house in Nadimarg, a tiny hamlet in Pulwama district inhabited
by only Kashmiri Pandits, is grieving.

Nadimarg had just lulled itself to sleep on Sunday night when armed
men in fatigues knocked on the doors. The villagers took it for an
army search operation, though search operations in this village were
rare and never so late in the night.

The gunmen asked the villagers to gather in the garden of a migrant
Pandit's deserted house. The assassins then showered bullets on them.

Two days later, the remnants of that Hitleresque act lie littered
around the village -- Lassa Koul's crutches, a plastic shoe, a blue
woollen cap, a pair of sleepers, crushed chinar leaves smeared with
blood, an impotent sandbag bunker.

Beyond the killing field, now swarming with soldiers in bulletproof
jackets, a dusty track leads to the heart-rending wails of men and
women.

"They killed everyone here!" the disconsolate youth repeats. "Nobody
will tell you to take off your shoes now!" His reference to the
Kashmiri practice of taking one's shoes off before entering a drawing
room is poignantly melodramatic.

"Sushma would sleep here," a girl cries, throwing herself on the
unfolded bedding.

The wailing girl is Shehnaz Akhter, the angry boy is Bilal Ahmad.
They were with Sushma just hours before she was killed along with her
father.

The three had walked the unpaved, dusty paths of their villages,
shared their small joys and little secrets. "She was my best friend,
my sister," says Shehnaz, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Sushma worked with Shehnaz's sister as an Integrated Child
Development Scheme worker. Shehnaz and her sisters would accompany
Sushma on her trips to nearby towns and walk her back home. "We would
spend most of the time together," Shehnaz says.

Sushma's was one of the nine Hindu families that had refused to
migrate from Nadimarg in the early 1990s despite militant threats and
that had made their Muslim friends very protective of them.

Though survivors of Sunday night's massacre like Pran Nath Bhat, who
lost his mother, brother, and a nephew, speak of it as
"unthinkable", talk of death had been a part of the lives of the
residents of this semi-pastoral village for a long time. Similar
massacres in the past and the helplessness of the majority Muslim
community in protecting their friends had played on their minds.

Shehnaz, Sushma and Bilal would often talk of an unseen death. Sushma
would confide her fears, her insecurity and vulnerability, to
her friends. "We would tell her we will be your shield," sobs
Shehnaz. "If a bullet comes your way, we will take it. But the day it
happened, we could not keep the promise."

Bilal finds it hard to keep his composure for long. In his hysteria
he refers to his discussions on Sufism and Hinduism with Sushma's
paramedic father. "Daddy [Sushma's father] would tell me about
satsangs [devotional congregations] and Shaivism. I would talk to him
about Islam. He was like my father and they killed him," he says.

On the Saturday preceding the massacre, Sushma had spent the night at
Shehnaz's house. The girls had chatted the night away. Sushma seemed
to have had a premonition of death. "She was very scared and told us
some armed men were spotted near her house," recalls Shehnaz. "We
were worried, but we told her to talk about good things, like her
cousin Vijay's marriage."

Vijay Bhat, 27, a teacher, had left for Jammu a week back to shop for
his marriage. He returned to light his family's funeral pyres.

In the courtyard of his house, his friends and acquaintances from
neighbouring villages console Vijay. Lying on a grass-mat, two Muslim
youths plead with him to take some tea.

"They could have burnt my house down, taken away every valuable. But
they took all the lives, they did not spare
a single person," Vijay sighs.

Vijay studied at the government college in Anantnag. He has several
Muslim friends and students. The massacre, however, has left him with
nothing. "What do I stay here for?" he wonders. "I never wanted to
leave, but now I have to."

The government's promises of increased security in villages inhabited
by the Pandits do not mean anything to Vijay; nor do the tears, the
grieving faces of his neighbours. The frenzied slogans raised after
every death in Kashmir sound hollow too.

The helplessness of the situation was evident in the words of Deputy
Prime Minister Lal Kishenchand Advani, who visited Nadimarg on
Tuesday. On the one hand he promised assistance to those wanting to
migrate; on the other, he said migration of Pandits from the Kashmir
Valley would be like playing into the enemy's hands.

The Muslims, though grieving with the Pandits, seem reluctant to come
out in the open with their protest. "We want all this to stop," says
Vijay's friend Tufail Ahmad, a teacher. "Every person you will talk
to will tell you how they hate these massacres, but nobody wants to
stick his neck out. Even the most secured politicians are using
carefully chosen words to react to the situation. It is fear that
keeps the Kashmiri Muslims indoors."

His words are heard everywhere in Kashmir. The condemnations have
come pouring in, not just from mainstream parties and separatists,
but even from ultra-Islamist parties like the Jamaat-e-Islami Kashmir
and Jamiat-e-Ahli Hadees. But all they have is sympathy.

As far as the Pandits are concerned, they see no option but to move
out of the valley. "We are in a state of shock," says Pran Nath Bhat,
"but we will decide soon."

Vijay Bhatt has made up his mind already.

o o o

The Rediff Special
March 24, 2003
http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/mar/24spec.htm

This did not happen in my Kashmir
Basharat Peer

This morning a colleague phoned me. "There has been a massacre in
Kashmir," he said. "Twenty-four Kashmiri Pandits killed."

It jolted me out of my slumber. He told me it had happened some hours
ago in a village in south Kashmir. He did not know where exactly. He
wanted me to leave for Srinagar.

I had known that. I have been leaving for Kashmir every time some
maniac pulled the trigger and killed innocents. I would run to my
room, throw a few shirts, jeans, a notebook and my camera into my
backpack, lock my room and head for the airport.
But today I began calling my friends in Kashmir to find out where the
massacre had occurred. I wanted to know which village -- yes, I
wanted to know that badly.

Because it could be my village.

Because the survivors I would interview, the bullet-ridden bodies I
would see, they could be my people.

Would it be Chaman Lal Kantroo, my Pandit teacher, who gave me a
notebook and two pencils for winning a quiz at school?

Would it be Somnath Dhar, our grocer, my grandfather's friend, from
whose shop I would return home with my pockets full of cashew nuts
and dried apricots?
Would they have killed Naina, that beautiful classmate of mine with
whom I used to lunch by the side of the spring?

I prayed not. I did not have the strength to face that.

How would I write about the people who have influenced my life, who
have taught me to live? About the friends of my grandfather, a devout
Muslim who headed the prayers at the mosque but kept not a separate
place for Somnath Dhar in his house? About my father's best friend,
Bansi Lal Pandita, Pandita uncle to me?

How would I write about their death?

I have seen my parents cry when our Pandit neighbours migrated. I did
not cry then. I did not understand what was happening.

A decade later, I did. When I visited the migrants camp in Jammu.

On another assignment there, I decided to visit the camp on the
outskirts of the city to write about my displaced brethren who live
in claustrophobic one-room hutments, abandoned by man and god.

"Nobody cares about us," a teenager told me.

He did not speak like a Kashmiri. And he hated Muslims.

I could not muster the courage to tell him I was one. I told him I
was a Punjabi from Delhi.

As I walked around, trying to locate the people from my part of
Kashmir, a 50-something man in a white kurta appeared out of a
narrow, dingy lane.
I introduced myself as a journalist working in Delhi, originally from Anantnag.

He looked at me carefully. "Where from in Anantnag?"
"Seer," I said.
"You are from Seer? Whose son are you?"
I gave my father's name and my grandfather's name. In my part of the
world, you are always your father's son, your grandfather's grandson.

His eyes lit up. He laughed, abused me fondly, hugged me tight.

Before I could ask him who he was, he grabbed my arm, telling me to
keep my mouth shut and obey.

We walked through narrow lanes for a minute or so. He stopped outside
a shabby hut, where a frail woman was washing clothes.

"Get up, Gowri!" he said. "Hug him! Your son has come!"
She didn't recognize me. But she hugged me.

"She is your father's sister," the man told me.

I did not know of any. But I believed him, when the woman said: "Is
he Amel's son?"
Amel is my father's nickname, which hardly anyone outside the family
knew. She was crying. So was her husband. And so was I.

I spent the next few hours with them in their cramped room, learning
about my family, my history. Not for a moment was I anything but
their son.

I left Jammu that day happier than ever, richer by an aunt and an
uncle and a faith in that unorthodox, anti-communal value system that
makes me proud of Kashmir.
But today the news has come. More of my people have been massacred.

The friends I phoned up said it was not in my village. The massacre
was in a place where I have never been to. Every child orphaned,
every widow there is a stranger to me.

But I share a bond with them. And it is a strong bond. We belong to
Kashmir. We are partners in the grief and misery of our beautiful
valley.
There are maniacs who want to severe this emotional, cultural and
historical chord I share with my Pandit brothers. I am not sure about
the identity of these enemies of my Kashmir.

The police say they are Muslim militants. Maybe. Maybe not.
Everything the police tell us in Kashmir is not true. What they told
us after the Chittisinghpora massacre of Sikhs in March 2000 has been
proved a lie.

The separatists say it is Indian intelligence agencies; words like
'politico-intelligence operations' fly in carpeted drawing rooms.

I do not know the truth. The truth was murdered in the first bomb
blast in Kashmir. Now we have only versions in Kashmir.
As I prepared to leave for the airport, my reporter's reflexes
failed. I did not want to go. I did not want to report this massacre.
This did not happen in my Kashmir. Not again.

I dream about seeing the Pandits back. I want to visit Somnath Dhar's
shop again. And walk home with cashews and apricots in my pockets.

I don't have words to express my grief. Let me paraphrase Kashmiri
poet Agha Shahid Ali from Farewell in the country without a post
office:
At a certain point I lost track of you.
You needed me. You needed to perfect me:
In your absence you polished me into the Enemy.
Your history gets in the way of my memory.
I am everything you lost. Your perfect enemy.
Your memory gets in the way of my memory.
There is nothing to forgive. You won't forgive me.
I hid my pain even from myself; I revealed my pain only to myself.
There is everything to forgive. You can't forgive me.

[* A collection of articles on the Nandimarg [Kashmir] massacre of
23, March 2003 has been gathered from 24 march 2003 to  28 March 2003
by the South Asia Citizens Web. It is available to all interested.
For a copy write to <aiindex at mnet.fr>]