[Reader-list] film screening

hansa thapliyal hansathap1 at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 17:21:11 IST 2003

i dont knwo if it alright to post the screening schedule of a film where i
have one very small credit nad that is made by a friend- but it would be
interesting to be able to discuss it.
a film made by a film maker from bombay-
a commissiond film about feminism in india, but i think one that pushes
quite at its brief. so i am sending the synopsis and schedule-

DATE: 2nd May, Friday

TIME: 7:00 p.m.

PLACE: India Habitat Centre, Gulmohar Hall

UNLIMITED GIRLS
Documentary, Digital Video, 94 min., English and some Hindi with subtitles;
Director: Paromita Vohra,   Producer: Sakshi

Camera: Mrinal Desai, Editing: Jabeen Merchant Sound: Subir Das

“Of course, girls should progress -as long as they do it within limits… but
when they become….un-limited, then something bad is bound to happen…”

So, still want to be a feminist?

That’s the question Fearless is asked and in turn asks others in the film
Unlimited Girls. Starting accidentally in a chatroom, she embarks on a
journey where she encounters diverse characters  - feminists who remember
the songs and actions of the Indian women’s movement, yuppies who discuss
their modern marriage, a policeman writing films for “women’s upliftment”,
women shopping at a bra sale, college kids practicing a dance, teachers who
feel girls must not take injustice – or break a home; a woman cab driver, a
priest, academics, activists, and unseen but much-heard women like
Atilla_the_Nun, ChamkiGirl and Devi_is_a_Diva, in a feminist chatroom – all
talking of their engagements with feminism and its place in their lives
today.

Using a personally reflective tone and playfully eclectic form, mixing
non-fiction and fiction, Unlimited Girls follows Fearless’ explorations and
conversations: about why women must always lead double lives, being feminist
but not saying they are. How do we remain politically engaged as individuals
who will not join groups? If feminism changes the way we live, then do we
change the meaning of feminism as we live it? And then how do we separate
true feminists from false ones? Will X-ray vision work better, or female
intuition - or is there a common set of principles in this multiply
interpreted philosophy? How do we make sense of love and anger, doubt and
confusion, the personal and the political, in this enterprise of pushing the
boundaries, of being un-limited - the enterprise we call feminism.

ABOUT THE FILMMAKER

Paromita Vohra is a filmmaker and writer. Her films as director include
Annapurna: Goddess of Food – a portrait of an organization of women food
workers in Bombay’s textile mill area; A Woman’s Place - a documentary about
women’s legal strategies in India, South Africa and the USA, and A Short
Film About Time a short fiction about a woman with a broken heart, her
therapist and his watch. Her films as a writer are Skin Deep, a film on
women, body image and self-identity, Veru, about a woman whose life is
transformed by growing fundamentalism in a Pakistani village and Kumari
Shobha, about a former Kumari struggling to make sense of love in
contemporary Kathamandu. Paromita. She is the India Project Co-ordinater of
A Woman’s Place Project and is a PUKAR Associate.

ABOUT THE PRODUCERS

Sakshi is a violence intervention group located in Delhi. Their work
includes gender sensitization and training, research and documentation,
leadership building and outreach on issues of gender and feminism.