[Reader-list] Criminalizing environmental activism ?

Avishek Ganguly avishek_ganguly at yahoo.co.in
Tue May 20 10:48:39 IST 2003

>  Environmentalists = Terrorists
>   The New Math
>
>Karen Charman is an investigative journalist specializing in agriculture, health and the environment.
>
> Have you ever signed a petition in support of an environmental or
> animal-rights issue? Do you belong to the Sierra Club, the
Natural Resources Defense Council, or Greenpeace? Have you publicly
protested some environmental or animal rights outrage? If legislation
crafted and promoted by the ultra-conservative American Legislative
Exchange Council (ALEC) becomes law, these fundamental rights of American
> citizenship could become illegal.
>
> Exploiting the current political climate against terrorism, ALEC
has teamed up with the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, a pro-hunting
group, to create a model "Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act." The
legislation is part of an intense backlash against increasingly effective and
> vocal citizen campaigns aimed at halting -- and holding
corporations accountable for -- environmental, animal-rights and public health
> abuses.
> Forging this kind of marriage to produce anti-progressive
legislation is old hat to ALEC, now in its thirtieth year of policy bending.
With an annual budget of nearly $6 million, ALEC's funders read like a
> Who's Who of the right, and include organizations like the
National Rifle Association, Family Research Council and Heritage
Foundation. It counts conservative activists and politicians such as Jesse
Helms, Jack Kemp and Henry Hyde among its alumni. Enron, Phillip Morris
(now Altria) and several oil companies rank among ALEC's corporate
> sponsors. And to bring the loop full-circle, ALEC boasts 2,400
state lawmakers representing all 50 states among its current members.

> In light of this, it's hardly shocking that ALEC is no friend to
green groups. According to a 2002 report by Defenders of Wildlife and
the Natural Resources Defense Council, corporations and trade
associations "funnel cash through ALEC to curry favor with state lawmakers
through junkets and other largesse in the hopes of enacting special
interest legislation -- all the while keeping safely outside the public
eye."

> The strategy obviously works. ALEC spokesperson David Wargin
estimates that out of about 1,000 ALEC model bills introduced in the last
> legislative session, 200 were enacted.
>
> The Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act may be next. Intended for
> states, it criminalizes virtually all forms of environmental or
> animal-rights advocacy. Versions of the proposed law were
introduced in Texas in February and in New York in March. New York Assembly
> member Richard Smith (D-Blasdell), who introduced that state's
bill, says four or five other states have also expressed interest.

> The Texas bill defines an "animal rights or terrorist
organization" as "two or more persons organized for the purpose of supporting any
> politically motivated activity intended to obstruct or deter any
> person from participating in an activity involving animals or...
> natural resources." The bill adds that "'Political motivation'
means an intent to influence a government entity or the public to take
a specific political action." Language in the New York bill is
similarly broad.

> Michael Ratner, a human rights lawyer and vice-president of the
Center for Constitutional Rights, has never seen such draconian
legislation in the United States.

> "This is unique. Even under the definition of domestic terrorism
in the Patriot Act, you have to at least do something that arguably
> threatens people's lives," he says. "The definitional sections of
this legislation are so broad that they sweep within them basically
every environmental and animal-rights organization in the country."

> Sandy Liddy Bourne, director of the ALEC task force that came up
with the model bill, insists the legislation is narrowly targeted at
> environmental and animal-rights extremists who blow up buildings
or destroy research facilities.
"We're certainly not attempting to interfere with anybody's civil
> rights to protest or express their opinion on environmental or
> animal-rights issues," she says. However, "there are legitimate
> business operations across our country that are being targeted by
> environmental extremists, and it's time to bring this kind of
activity to a halt."

> Ratner points out that there are laws against trespassing,
vandalism, destruction of property, disorderly conduct and disturbing the
peace. The only reason for this legislation, he says, is to eliminate
all forms of dissent, including the time-honored democratic
traditions of nonviolent, peaceful protest and civil disobedience.

> Civil rights advocates who thought the Patriot Act was bad should
turn their attention to this legislation. Because if ALEC is
successful, millions of people might just lose the only tool they have left:
the right to loud and public dissent.

"In civilizations without boats, dreams dry up, espionage takes the place of adventure, and the police take the place of pirates." - Foucault