[Reader-list] The Home of Memories

meenu gaur meenugaur at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 13:14:05 IST 2003

Independent Research

The Home of Memories

Zuv Chum Braman
Gara Gatshaha
(My life brims over
I want to go home)
                         : - Lal Ded

One of the focuses of this research project is to witness the multiple
memories of Home in the Kashmiri Pandit refugee camps. These memories of
home often construct the space of the Camp as the Other of that lost object
of fantasy which is Kashmir. In this posting I’d like to discuss the ways in
which people’s imaginings of home determines the way they construct the
narratives on their experience of the Camps. It needs to be remembered
though that when the Kashmiri Pandit migrants remember home, they do not
necessarily or only speak of Kashmir in the 1990s. The Kashmir of their
memory is amorphous and in their memories of Kashmir as home they often turn
to a treasured and more personal past.

A middle-aged man narrated to me the story of how he had revisited the
Valley a few years back and how the thing that signifies to him an
experience of his homeland is this image he carried from Kashmir of a man
drinking water from a small stream. Even in the Camps at Delhi, hawa-paani
(air+water) is an obsession: Delhi’s hawa-paani intensifies longings for a
Kashmir with its singularities of hawa-paani. Yet another old man remembered
that when he returned to Kashmir a few years back on a short visit; the
first thing he did is that he went straight to his house, opened the tap in
his house and drank the water. For many of the people in the Camps, Home is
as elementary as Water.

Often enough in the Camps, life in Kashmir is also remembered as being full
of prosperity. The people in the Camps maintain that they might not
necessarily have enjoyed material prosperity in Kashmir but there they owned
something, they weren’t so dispossessed. Most of the Kashmiri Pandit
migrants had to move from their own houses in Kashmir to a small cubicle
(lesser than a room in size) in a large hall which they had to share with
many other families. The Camp is thus often constructed as the Other of an
ideal and idyllic homeland where there always seemed to be enough for
everybody. The enduring image of the Camp, to one inhabitant who has moved
out of the camp now to a flat in East Delhi, is that of Pigs.  He narrated
how he had never seen a pig in his whole life in Kashmir and when he landed
in Sultanpuri, the memory of the early days in the Camp has remained forever
etched in his mind as an image of the “Pigs”: “Maybe it was the heat. I had
not seen a Delhi summer before that but believe me after a few days in the
Camp, when I saw people on the roads… toh sab aadmi aurat mujhe suar nazar
aate the (the men and women on the roads started looking like pigs to me)”.
Someone else in the Sultanpuri Camp talked about how she remembered the days
of happiness, well-being and even modest luxury in Kashmir: “Kashmir mein
toh hum aise seb torte the aur chakh ke phek dete the…ki yeh theek nahin
hain…aur yahan seb khareedne ke pehle sochna padta hai…” (We used to take a
bite off such apples in Kashmir and then throw them away but now here you
have to think many times before you buy an apple”.) The chaos of the Camp
experience is mastered through the order of the memories of home. These
memories are intrinsically about open spaces, orchards, abundance… a sense
of comfort and general well-being.

When they look at their experience in the Camps, it is through jokes …one of
the more popular jokes is that if any of the camp resident or ex-resident
suffers from insomnia, the only antidote is to soak a clean handkerchief in
the sewage drain outside the camp and place it next to his pillow…the
familiar smell is sure to lure him to sleep. Sensations matter in these
memories. The other obvious points of reference for any conversation on the
life in the Camps are mosquitoes, pigs, the drain and the criminals. Nobody
talks about things such as the supply of electricity in the camps, for
instance, which might be many times better than in Kashmir, where one may
get electricity for merely an hour in a whole day in the bitter winters.

The Kashmiri migrants carry a miniaturized, idealized Kashmir in their
hearts. The memory of Kashmir is also a ritual of remembrance. Some of these
narratives stemming out of personal experiences might seem suspect when
measured up to certain facts about the life of these migrants in Kashmir but
nonetheless they hint at a complex reality. A complex reality which involves
a rejection of what the French historian Pierre Nora calls “the terrorism of
historicized memory”.