[Reader-list] A Fight for Free Access To Medical Research

reyhanchaudhuri reyhanchaudhuri at eth.net
Thu Oct 2 02:47:59 IST 2003

Dear Monica,
Your article is very licit and valid to the time period today.
As for instance even without the pesticides cola drinks are very damaging to
the body,especially that of children and young people and as most Doctors
have known for a long time.
Something like smoking,if we recall the direct causal relationship between
cigarette smoke and lung cancer (atleast for two types)was discerned way
back in the forties.However the statuatory  legislation that was passed and
that made it mandatory for this scientific fact to be printed on every
nicotine package(however much cloaked in gentler/ambiguous terms) ,was only
a few years ago.
Again another good example  would be Type II Diabetes (Non -insulin
dependent diabetes).Despite the enormous armoury of anti-diabetic drugs
manufactured by pharmaceutical companies available the fact that the first
& major line of treatment should be exercise/diet/lifestyle changes.
There are obviously Monica, vested interests at work. Medical research
authenticated and proven must be available not ony to third world Doctors
but also the ordinary netsurfer ....
Yours in agreeement,
R.Chaudhuri.