[Reader-list] Re: on a media-boycott of the Right...

Avishek Ganguly avishek_ganguly at yahoo.co.in
Sun Oct 12 20:36:36 IST 2003

well, this is probably fantastic, born of a desperation, a nagging double-bind...
but i can't help but wonder whether we, secularists/leftists/liberals/non-rightwingers sometimes end up giving the rightwing (hindu/republican whatever) way too much importance/publicity than they, left to their own perverse channels of communication, could ever hope for.

imagine religiously looking up hinduunity.org (pls don't get me wrong, lehar) or daniel pipes's campuswatch website or other half a dozen obscure hindutva sites, scouring for information (undoubtedly spurious) and then disseminating it all over the internet...all being undertaken by some conscientious secular/liberal person, all in the name of mobilizing anti-rightwing opinion/action!

could offering less media-coverage to the pantomimes of rightwing politicians be an effective method of containing them? would a praveen togadia stand to lose something if the mainstream press boycotted him and restrained itself from publishing every bit of buffoonery that he indulges in? what would happen if the press simply refused to publish comments/interviews from the deputy prime minister of a country, who actually has the gall to speak out after being convicted of a heinous crime and shamelessly acquitted from a trial?

crazy as this might all sound, but i would still appreciate comments from fellow readerlist-ers,
avishek

"Lehar .." <lehar_hind at yahoo.com> wrote:

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://shopping.yahoo.com