[Reader-list] Edition 86: 16 October 2003.

Rehan Ansari nyvoices at indypress.org
Thu Oct 16 05:03:32 IST 2003

This Week's Voices That Must Be Heard
By IPA-New York, a sponsored project of the Independent Press Association
Edition 86: 16 October 2003.

More on the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride:
The new civil rights frontier by Dr. Basil Wilson, Caribnews, 7 October 2003. English language.
The involvement of the labor movement in this new civil rights frontier has enormous political ramifications. It dramatizes the interest of working class people. It supports the notion that the further democratizing of American society is important. MORE.

Thousands finish long journey for a dream that unites immigrants by Rosa Margarita Murphy, El Diario / La Prensa, 7 October 2003. Translated from Spanish by Hirsh Sawhney.
The delegation from Chicago was made up of 32 youth who are United States citizens born to Mexican parents. They attended the ride because many of their family members who have lived in the United States for years still don't have papers. MORE.

No to Injustice, Yes to Legalization by Anna Salomon, Super Express, 6 October 2003. Translated from Polish by Ania Milewska.
"This is a huge [event]. Now all we can do is hope that our voice will be heard by politicians," said Ludmila Grabarz, who came to Corona Park to participate in the protest. She was one of the few Poles present. "It's sad that so few of us came. We are never where we should be. All ethnic groups came to express their protest against injustice and fight for better immigration laws. There weren't enough of us." MORE.

Protesting immigration policies, Weekly Gleaner, 8 October 2003. English language.
Jamaican native Howard Facey is married to U.S. citizen Georgiana and is the father of four America-born children. Like too many Facey visited the Federal Plaza building in Manhattan several times this year. He was hoping to pick up his work authorization. Instead, on his last visit he was detained and deported to Jamaica. MORE.

NEWS ITEMS:
Bangladeshi immigrants becoming active in mainstream American politics by Abu Taher, Bangla Patrika, 3 October 2003. Translated from Bangla by Moinuddin Naser .
Bangladeshis forging relationships with politicians, but behind the scenes. MORE.

Univision Radio will buy Long Island's WLIR-FM, La Tribuna Hispana USA, 8 October 2003. Translated from Spanish by Hillary Hawkins.
A new Spanish language radio station for Long Island's Latino community is another step in media consolidation in the Spanish market. MORE.

Are Haitian Americans too preoccupied with events in Haiti? by Macollive Jean-Francois, Haitian Times, 7 October 2003. English language.
Instead of focusing on issues in the United States and taking part in events that could alter their conditions here, Haitians seem to prefer to concentrate on Haiti. MORE.

Israelis are asked: What did you give to your country? by Oren Yaniv, Maariv, 10 October 2003. Translated from Hebrew by Oren Yaniv.
Israelis in the United States do not give to Israeli charities, like Americans do. MORE.

American firms seek Korean speakers, Korea Daily News, 10 October 2003. Translated from Korean by Sun-yong Reinish.
Fluency in Korean may be an advantage for those seeking employment in certain American companies. MORE.

BRIEFS:
A health "report card" on the Chinese community by Chao-Zhong Hsieh, World Journal, 6 October 2003. Translated from Chinese by Connie Kong.

A Bangladeshi immigrant tells a heartfelt story at Amnesty International hearing, Weekly Thikana, 8 October 2003. Translated from Bangla by Moinuddin Naser .

Racial discrimination against Asians on the rise by Jong-hun Kim, Korea Daily News, 8 October 2003. Translated from Korean by Sunyong Reinish.

EDITORIALS:
Economic illiterates in our midst by Chika Onyeani, African Sun Times, 1 October 2003. English language.
I am deeply saddened that the African media is not receiving the kind of attention that our people pay to other newspapers or magazines. For them it is a status symbol to be seen reading, or rather really carrying, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Time or Newsweek magazine. MORE.

As always we welcome questions, suggestions, corrections and letters to the editor.

Rehan Ansari
Editor, Independent Press Association - New York
nyvoices at indypress.org* 212/279-1442 * 143 West 29th St., 901, New York City, 10001