[Reader-list] PUBLIC INTEREST ALERT: Delhi Times promotes pornography & alcoholism

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Sep 2 14:18:46 IST 2003

Dear all,

Here is a list of a few other things that I personally feel depraves and
corrupts young minds in every newspaper that I see in India, I also think
that they do violence to my sensibilities as a human being, they disgust me
and make me angry. I  don't think that these issues are less serious than the
sexualised representation of men or women.in fact I think that the sexualised
representation of men or women is several degrees healthier than what i am
listing below, this is my personal opinion, and i really feel concerned about
the millions of young people fed patriotic bilge in the media, and I am
worried about what these young people are going to grow up into. So here is
the list -

1. DAVP (govt. of India's department of advertising and visual publicity)
paid for ads that advertise the Indian state's militarist prowess for
occasions like republic day

2. The entire sports page (commodification of bodies on a scale that is
unquestioned and unimagined, and a cult of competetive success)

4. every matrimonial page in every newspaper ( for something that really
continues to justify casteist, racist, classist, and sexist prejudices, read
any matrimonial ad spread))

5. the horoscope section (which promotes the view that young people really
have no control over their own destinies)

6. every piece of paranoia about terrorism and illegal aliens that makes
young peoples minds sick with fear (see a series of ads by the Delhi Police
instructing people how to identify 'suspicious persons', of which more in
some other posting)

7. ads promoting careers in the armed forces, the indian administrative
services and the police force (inducements to serve the state - an
institution I find deeply offensive to my dignity and to the dignity of young
impressionable readers)

8) unquestioning obeisance to the cult of expertise, be it in science,
religion or social questions

9) generally unrestrained homophobia

I think however, that all of the above, reflect realities that exist in our
social life, and i for one, notwithstanding my concern for the sanity of
young people, would not like to live in a world where they do not have the
opportunity to make up their minds about what they read, see and hear. My
anger about the above does not make me jump to the high moral ground from
which I can call for censorship. If I am really offended (as I have been by
the Times of India's generally third rate journalism which really rips me off
for the money I am asked to pay for the newspaper, I switch to a somewhat
less worse option, in another paper, or look for news and analysis in forums
and platforms that I feel assure me of better quality.)

I would totally agree here with what Menso has to say, if you (Lehar) feel
offended, or if you feel that you don't want your children to be exposed to
this kind of material, or to be exposed to it uncritically, then the onus is
on you, to either read something else, or, to annotate the reading of the
children around you with your criticism of what they read, see and hear, so
that they, as intelligent young people, can balance what they get from the
media that you find offensive, with the views that you hold, and make up
their own minds about what they want and endorse.

On the occasions when I have come across young people I know reading or being
exposed to patriotic propaganda which offends me (or any of the 9 kinds of
representation i have listed above) as much as the sexualised depiction of
men and women offends you, this is what I have chosen to do. Then it is up to
the young person concerned to make their own judgement. This is what I
remember doing as a child and as a teenager and this is what I hope every
young person can have the confidence and the freedom to do for himself or
herself.

Finally, I find Lehar's comments about sex work offensive. While the
circumstances under which a large number of women,children or men enter the
sex industry may indeed be deeply exploitative and violent, I see no reason
to believe that this is more so than any other form of work. Forced or
violent agricultural labour is just as abhorrent as the kind of sex work
which denies ther sex worker their basic rights to a safe working
environment, health check ups and lack of control over their bodies or the
wealth generated from their labour. I find the kind of agriculural or
industrial labour that denies human beings their dignity and does violence to
their bodies offensive, but it would be somewhat absurd to take a position
against industrial or agricultural work per se,  on the grounds that is work
that involves agricultural or industrial materials, similarly the violence
done to people in vast swathes of the sex industry is indeed offensive, but
it somehow seems quite natural for people to take a position against sex work
per se, on the basis that it is work with and about one's sex. A position
that questions the commodification of human labour power would have to take a
stand against that form of commodification no matter in what context, or
which form of human activity it were to occur. Why should sex work be
considered worse, or better, than any other form of labour.

If some of us are concerned about what young people read, see and hear, it
may be worth our while to produce the kind of cultural content that we feel
can actually attract their attention,  and work hard at producing contexts in
which these efforts do not become meaningless or futile because of their self
absorbed marginality.

regards

Shuddha