[Reader-list] Teacher Plus... an interesting mag from Hyderabad

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred at bytesforall.org
Wed Sep 3 13:42:30 IST 2003

TEACHER PLUS Vol I No 4 * July/Aug 2003 Rs 15
Submissions to teacherplus01 at yahoo.co.in

Consumer clubs in school: Consumer Affairs Ministry will grant Rs 10,000
to set up consumer awareness clubs in schools.

Channel to energise science education plnned in India by 2005
Magsaysay award for prof Shanta Sinha, of UoHyderabad, who's behind
the MV Foundation, working to get all children in the end mainstream.

AP government's schooling statistics in dispute.

	Disaster management has been introduced as part of
	the social sciences curriculum for Class VIII
	from this year, which will be extended up to
	Class X by 2005. A new book, *Together Towards
	Safer India*, has been prepared for the course
	in collaboration with the disaster management
	division of the Home Ministry and the UNDP.

ON TEACHING GEOGRAPHY: I put up the world map on teh wall. I took
a pointer and took my teachers on a 'trip' to part of Europe.
Before starting, various travel details (passport, visa,
accommodation) were discussed.... My wards were so happy with
the trip, they didn't want to come back!!! --Girija Karthikeyan

	EDITORIAL: Just when we thought that corporal
	punishment in schools was a thing of the past, it
	seems to be resurfacing with renewed vigour.

LET'S CLEAN UP! Cleanliness of one's surroundings as well as one's own body
is very important to good health, and therefore to what one is and one does.
Like most habits, hygiene too is a habit picked up and most easily in
childhood. Here are a few ways in which to help little children pick up
clean habits, writes Sheel.

	PEG MATHS WITH EASE: The pegboard is a familiar piece
	of preschool equipment on which little children
	learn number work. This little board can be used
	to great effect through all of primary and middle
	school, and even in high school. K Rajalaxmi, principal
	of the Chirec Public School in Hyderabad <chirecps@
	hd1.vsnl.net.in> describes how.

WHY DO CHILDREN LIE? Lying is one of the challenges parents and
teachers alike face when dealing with children. Given the
responsibility of ensuring that a child is coping not only
academically but also socially and emotionally, it becomes
important to know the possible causes of untruth, and how to
deal with it with sensitivity, says Charru Sharma, lecturer
in family and child development <sharmacharru at rediffmail.com>

	MORE THAN JUST BUZZING AROUND: Climbing on the wings of
	a little insect can sometimes take you on a voyage of
	discovery. This project presents some ways in which you
	can take your students on that voyage, with the honeybee.
	The bee, like the ant, has often been described as a
	model of community living. There are many other aspects
	of the bee's life cycle that have lessons for us --
	lessons that take us beyond the pages of a textbook
	and outside the boundaries of a subject, writes M S Shobha.

MATHS FOR COMMUNICATION: Maths is a subject with a wide applicability
in almost every area of life. That it is undeniably a part of our
daily lives, and thus an easy subject to grasp, is something that
children can learn to appreciate, thus getting over their
inhibitions about the subject. P R Guruprasad, a Chennai-based education
consultant involved in curriculum and teacher-development
<prg552000 at yahoo.co.in> shares his experiences of using Maths as
a medium of communication.

	ELEMENTARY ORGANISATION: The priodic table of elements is
	one of those necessary but often boring chapters in the
	seventh or eighth class syllabus. We rush through it
	stoically, making sure our students are familiar enough with
	the logic of its organisation to help them understand
	the rest of high school chemistry. Here are some added
	insights on the periodic table that might help you
	make it a little more interesting for your students,
	says Usha Raman.

FREEING COMPUTERS IN SCHOOLS: Computers are used in many schools
these days, as a teaching/training tool as well as for
administrative purposes. Most schools, however, use expensive
software that not only takes away a huge chunk of the school
budget, but also limits the number of teaching/learning tools
that can be used in school. This article discusses Free
Software and why Free Software makes sense in education.

 	CRAZY -- OR CREATIVE -- ANSWERS? As teachers of young
	children, most of us wade through loads and loads of
	answer books. Normally a strain, the answers that
	children sometimes come up with (in their confusion
	or their eagerness to answer) can bring a smile to
	your face and a chuckle upon your lips in the most
	stressful times. Some tickers and howlers...
	(Example: "Julius Caesar extinguished himself on
	the battle-fields of Gaul. The Ides of March
	murdered him because they thought he was going to
	be made king. Dying, he gasped out: "Tee hee,
	Brutus.")