[Reader-list] Community Radio

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Sep 18 04:35:13 IST 2003

The Washington Post
Wednesday, September 17, 2003; Page A17

Community Radio Gives India's Villagers a Voice
Officials Worry Local Stations May Foment Unrest

By Rama Lakshmi
Special to The Washington Post

BOODIKOTE, India -- Crushed under the weight of
three years of drought, the villagers lost their
patience when the public water pipes dried up
last June. For eight days, there was no water for
cooking, cleaning or washing.

There were murmurs of protest everywhere. Women
came out of their homes with empty pots demanding
that the old pipes be fixed and new wells dug.
Men stood at street corners and debated angrily.
The village chief made promises, but nothing
happened.

Then, a young man ran over to the village radio
station and picked up a recorder.

"Women complained and shouted into the mike and
vented their anger at the village chief's
indifference. There was chaos everywhere. But I
recorded everything," said Nagaraj Govindappa,
22, a jobless villager. He played the tape that
evening on the small community radio station
called Namma Dhwani, or Our Voices. The
embarrassed village chief ordered the pipes
repaired. Within days, water was gushing again.

India's first independent community radio
initiative is in this millet- and tomato-growing
village in the southern state of Karnataka. It is
a cable radio service because India forbids
communities to use the airwaves. A media advocacy
group, with the help of U.N. funds, laid cables,
sold subsidized radios with cable jacks to
villagers and trained young people to run the
station.

"The power of community radio as a tool of social
change is enormous in a country that is poor,
illiterate and has a daunting diversity of
languages and cultures," said Ashish Sen,
director of Voices, the advocacy group.

Emboldened by a Supreme Court ruling in 1995
declaring airwaves to be public property,
citizens groups and activists began pushing for
legislation that would free the airwaves from
government control. Two years ago, India
auctioned its FM stations to private businesses
to air entertainment programs. And late last
year, India allowed some elite colleges to set up
and run campus radio stations.

By keeping the airwaves restricted, activists
complain, the Indian government lags behind such
South Asian neighbors as Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Nepal launched South Asia's first community radio
station in 1995 and today has at least five
independent stations across the country that
address people's complaints and act as hubs of
information in times of strife. In Sri Lanka,
Kothmale Radio has been an integral part of the
Kothmale community for 14 years.

Last December, Sri Lanka issued a broadcasting
license to the formerly clandestine radio station
run by the Tamil Tiger rebels, Voice of Tigers.
The decision was made to strengthen the peace
process underway after nearly two decades of war
and to bring the radio transmissions under Sri
Lankan law.

Radiophony, an Indian lobby group for community
radio, claims that villagers can set up a
low-powered, do-it-yourself radio station -- with
a half-watt transmitter, a microphone, antenna
and a cassette player -- for approximately $25.
The group says such a station can reach about a
third of a mile and cover a small village.

Last year, the group supplied a low-wattage
transmitter to a World Bank-supported women's
group in Oravakal, a village in the southern
state of Andhra Pradesh. Mana Radio, or Our
Radio, ran for five months before officials from
the communications ministry seized the equipment
and shut down the broadcast in February.

"We have to tread very cautiously when it comes
to community radio," said Pavan Chopra, secretary
of India's ministry of information and
broadcasting. "As of today we don't think that
villagers are equipped to run radio stations.
People are unprepared, and it could become a
platform to air provocative, political content
that doesn't serve any purpose except to divide
people. It is fraught with danger."

The ministry runs the All India Radio service
that covers the country and has more than 200
stations. Chopra said communities can buy time
from the radio service and run their programs
under state supervision. Since 1999, two groups
of villagers, one in the western state of Gujarat
and the other in the northern state of Jharkhand,
have used time slots on All India Radio to run
programs in their local dialects. But activists
say that the central principle of community radio
is to own and run a radio station freely.

"Community radio in India is not about playing
alternative rock music," said Seema Nair, who
helps the villagers run the station at Boodikote.
"It is a new source of strength for poor people
because it addresses their most basic development
needs."

Since it began broadcasting in March, Our Voices
community radio has crackled with the sounds of
schoolchildren singing songs and giggling to
jokes; of young girls talking fearlessly about
the evils of dowry and admonishing boys for
teasing them at school; of women giving out
recipes and teaching others how to open a bank
account; and of farmers debating the vagaries of
the weather and fluctuating crop prices.

"This radio station is ours because it speaks
about us -- in our language and in our accent.
When I turn it on, I hear the voices of people I
know," said Triveni Narayanswamy, 28, as she
twirled the dial of her tiny transistor radio.

Narayanswamy sold milk until her only cow died three months ago.

"But when I went to claim insurance money for my
cow, the agent tried to cheat me. He said he owed
me no money," she said. "I went up and down his
office at least a dozen times in vain. Then I
spoke about my problem on Namma Dhwani radio. The
next day, the agent gave me the insurance
amount." She said it was about $240.

"Our radio is more powerful than the corrupt and
inefficient village council," she said proudly.
"They hold secret meetings and don't spend the
money on our welfare. I want the proceedings of
such meetings to be recorded. We all have a right
to know what happens to the money that comes in."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company