[Reader-list] Update on Indian film makers campaign against censorship

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Sep 20 04:52:56 IST 2003

[Posted below is the latest news re the Indian film makers campaign
to protest censorship at the upcoming Bombay film festival....xxx H.]

CAMPAIGN AGAINST CENSORSHIP AT MIFF

19/09/03

Dear Friends,

Most of you would have seen the newspaper reports today about the
Minister's comments on the withdrawal of the Censorship requirements
at MIFF2004. This is really good news.

No formal letter or notification has of course been issued, neither
by the Ministry, or Films Division, and there is some reason
therefore to be cautious in accepting the newspaper reports as the
final word on the issue. We have sent a letter to the Ministry
stating that for the Campaign Against Censorship to any take any
further decision on the boycott call we would need a formal
communication from them.

We will keep you posted as and when a formal letter or notice is
issued. Until then celebrate, but with scepticism!

Meanwhile our list of signatories has increased to over 200 and the
Campaign has been getting several  letters of solidarity from the
international film community as well. The press coverage all over
India has also been extensive. We will shortly be sending out to
everyone a digest with a compilation of some of the letters of
support.

In solidarity,

Amar Kanwar, Pankaj Butalia, Rahul Roy, Saba Dewan, Sameera Jain, Sanjay Kak
"MIFF CAMPAIGN" <miff_camapaign at rediffmail.com>

o o o o

[For those who havent seen the press coverage on the Ministers
comments re withdrawal of censorship from MIFF. Here goes: ]

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=31831
The Indian Express, September 19, 2003

Prasad says no censor for docus
Express News Service
New Delhi, September 18: Faced with the prospect of 175 leading
documentary filmmakers boycotting the Mumbai International Film
Festival (MIFF) 2004, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ravi
Shankar Prasad today said that there will no censorship of films.

As reported in The Indian Express, 175 documentary filmmakers had
come together to campaign against censorship at MIFF 2004 for
introducing a clause which requires Indian documentaries entering the
festival to be censored. However, the foreign films entering the
festival did not have to go through the censorship.

After giving notice to Films Division and the Ministry over a month
ago, the campaign gathered steam forcing the Government to revise its
rules.

Prasad said, the filmmakers will be given time to send in their
entries to participate in the festival. ''Indian documentary
filmmakers should not be disadvantaged in any manner and I have
directed officials to find another alternative to obtaining
certification from the Censor Board,'' Prasad said.

The filmmakers had argued that film festivals are arenas of
uninhibited and creative expression. No international festival of
repute censors films. It is strange that MIFF 2004 now wants to do
this while it managed seven previous editions of MIFF without this
regulation, they argued.

o o o

The Times of India, September 19, 2003
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com:80/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=189174
Docu-makers are MIFFed no more
TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2003 11:36:46 PM ]

NEW DELHI: The controversy over the boycott of the eighth Mumbai
International Film Festival (MIFF) announced by Indian documentary
filmmakers ended on Thursday with information and broadcasting
minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announcing that their entries would not
be subjected to any form of pre-censorship.

The minister told reporters that he had decided on this since there
were "apprehensions" and that he did not want the Indian competitors
to be at a disadvantage in an international event.
With this announcement, what was widely perceived as a fallout of the
Gujarat riots of last year has been set at rest.