[Reader-list] Edition 83: 25 September 2003.

Rehan Ansari nyvoices at indypress.org
Thu Sep 25 06:16:06 IST 2003

This Week's Voices That Must Be Heard
By IPA-New York, a sponsored project of the Independent Press Association
Edition 83: 25 September 2003.
Advisory editor Antoine Faisal, of Aramica, an IPA member publication.

NEWS ITEMS:
Mayor signs Executive Order 41 by Claudia Zequeira, El Diario / La Prensa, 18 September 2003. Translated from Spanish by Hirsh Sawhney.
A triumph for immigrants and one of the most liberal and revolutionary laws in the country. MORE.

Central Queens has more than 416 Korean businesses by Jun-yong Ahn, Korea Daily News, 19 September 2003. Translated from Korean by Sunyong Reinish.
Community puts together a Korean business directory on the 100th anniversary celebration of Korean-American immigration. MORE.

Globalization's Underside" Sex Trafficking in Brooklyn by Claire Hoffman, Brooklyn Rail, 1 September 2003. English language.
Customers are typically admitted by race or ethnic background-for example, only Chinese men are allowed into brothels with Chinese women. The distinctions are so tightly made that even a Puerto Rican undercover agent would not be able to go to a brothel with Mexican women. MORE.

Caribbean countries disappointed, but not bewildered, as global trade talks collapse by Tony Best, Caribnews, 23 September 2003. English language.
Poor countries walk away from U.S. Europe and Japan MORE.

BRIEFS:
We shall overcome, again by Anna Salamon, Super Express, 19 September 2003. Translated from Polish by Super Express.

29 percent of Silicon Valley businesses owned by Chinese and Indians by Raju Chebium, Indian Express, 19 September 2003. English language.

Ali Baba Ashcroft is stealing our civil rights by Adrienne Haywood-James, Muslims, 12 September 2003. English language.

EDITORIALS:
Downlow in Central Brooklyn by David Mark Greaves, Our Time Press, 1 September 2003. English language.
Men who have unsafe sex with men in prison continue their high-risk sexual activity endangering their wives and girlfriends. MORE.

Arabs danced on 9/11? by Lynne Vittorio, Aramica, 20 September 2003. English language.
How do you prove it did not happen? MORE.
As always we welcome questions, suggestions, corrections and letters to the editor.

Rehan Ansari
Editor, Independent Press Association - New York
nyvoices at indypress.org* 212/279-1442 * 143 West 29th St., 901, New York City, 10001