[Reader-list] Third Independent Research Posting

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 10 22:10:19 IST 2004

Dear All,
The research was moving a bit too slowly owing to my exams and involvement
in a project on operationalizing the human right to water for the urban poor
in Mumbai. I have been compiling my experiences in the slums with what I
have observed in the trains and am trying to understand the phenomenon of
crowding and its subsequent impact on people.
>From Monday, I am beginning interviews with women who frequently travel by
train. The first interview is slated to occur on a journey with a woman
travels by first class in order to avoid the 'roughness' of second class. I
will be traveling with her from her home to office and we will be talking
along the way! She was quite amused with what I was doing. I also request
you to send in your thoughts, comments and feedback, particularly on any
literature which you think I should review in connection with this study. I
have been advised to look at literature pertaining to New York's subways and
compare scenarios which I think would be extremely interesting from a larger
perspective.
For now, this much.
With best wishes,
Zainab Bawa

Date: 28/01/04

Journey: Byculla to Kurla

Today’s experience in the trains was quite interesting.

I boarded the train at Byculla. The train was bound for Kurla. There was not
much crowd in the train because this was a short distance train. I stood at
the platform where the middle ladies compartment was expected to halt. The
middle ladies compartment was divided into two sections. The first section
was large, amounting to 70% of the total compartment space; there was a
partition dividing the small compartment (comprising of the rest of the 30%)
from the large. I decided to purposely sit in the small compartment.

There were very few people in my small compartment, mostly mothers, with
their school-going children. The lady sitting opposite me was staring at my
cell phone (which I was holding in my hand). The lady sitting next to me was
sitting too close to me. There was very little space between her and me. For
a moment, this was too disconcerting for me. I almost felt like this lady
wanted to open herself up to me. She was thinking deeply.

There was another lady sitting opposite me with her two school-going
children. Even she was deeply immersed in her thoughts. Like this, there
were several ladies sitting in the small compartment with their school-going
children, deeply immersed in thought.

I found this to be a very strange experience. After a while, even I was lost
in my own thoughts. What I felt afterwards was that these moments were those
where all of us women were together into the brains and all of us were
simultaneously immersed in thinking. All of us were together lost in our
thoughts. And, I am 110% certain that these thoughts were mainly about our
existential worries and problems – the problems of living – nothing more
than that! And yet, it is these existential problems which are more
harrowing than anything else!

As if automatically, all the “thinking” women (don’t know whether to call
them thoughtful) came out of their thoughts the moment our train touched
Dadar Station. They straightened themselves up, ‘proper-ed’ their sarees,
smiled loving and warmly at their children, and headed out of the
compartment.

The moment all of them left, I was all by myself in the compartment, and
soon, the smallness of the compartment began to reveal itself to me. This
small compartment appeared to be a very private space. The walls of the
compartment were scribbled with various kinds of messages, most notably
“love” messages. Some of the messages were:

1.	One bird in hand worths two in a bush
- Be happy with what you have
- Khushi )):
2.	MR 2004 from Yogesh Pawar
3.	Shakeb love Shama … I am ________ waiting for you
There were little scribbles were scratched everywhere on the walls of this
compartment. I could not decipher some of the writings at all! I usually
find young schoolgirls frequenting these small compartments:
		young meaning like 14-16 years onwards
		school – a lot of them go to municipal schools or Marathi medium schools

These girls have very intimate talks to share with each other. They squeal,
giggle, whisper and chat in hushed and hurried voices. A lot of times, the
talks revolve around the latest crush, the most attractive guy, the popular
guy (could be a film star or a local guy, someone from their
school/chawl/neighbourhood/colony), or their boyfriend or friend’s
boyfriend. But I don’t know whether it is these girls who scratch the train
walls and write on them. My personal stereotype is that the scratches and
scribbles are done by boys, because in my worldview, ‘girls’ don’t do such
rough things (except for rough girls or boyish girls). Perhaps my stereotype
is influenced by Hindi films and by my visit to Gulmarg (in Kashmir), where
a lot of the scribbling was done by the boys. And then, there are boys who
also scratch/scribble their girlfriends’ names on their hands/wrists. But I
also know of my female schoolmates who had scratched their girlfriends’
names on their wrists because they were very passionate and possessive about
them.

Anyway, coming back to the compartment. The smallness of the compartment was
revealing itself to me. When there were few people in it, it was an intimate
space. When there were no people in it (and I thought I was all alone in
it), the space began to grow on me. By the time the train hit Sion station,
I was beginning to feel intimidated. I was feeling like I am the only person
in the compartment and what if some men at Sion are tempted to jump into my
empty compartment. What would happen if a mugger got in? On this thought, I
immediately threw my cell phone in my bag. I also tightened up myself and
became a bit more alert.

My mind wandered back to the journey which I had undertaken from Andheri
Station to Churchgate at 8 o’clock in the evening on 12th Jan. On that
journey too, I was sitting in the middle ladies compartment and by the time
the train had reached Marine Lines (one stop before Churchgate), I was all
alone, with everyone getting off at Marine Lines. Apart from me, there was a
lady standing at the door of the compartment. When about five minutes had
passed and the train was showing no sign of movement, I decided to check
with this lady whether the train would go to Churchgate at all! She saw me
and said, “Come, sit here.” I asked her if the train would go to Churchgate.
She said, “Have you ever heard of a train which halts at Marine Lines as its
final junction?” Yeah, I knew there was never such a train where Marine
Lines was the junction. The she said, “I saw you seated and therefore I
decided to continue sitting in this compartment. I was actually going to
move to the first ladies compartment (which is usually filled with ladies,
is bigger and irrespective of timing, always has quite a few women in it.
Hence, it is perceived to be safer!). You know what happens nah when the
train moves from Marine Lines to Churchgate; it halts for a while in between
the two stations, waiting for a clearance signal so that it can park itself
on a track occupied previously by a train which is now moving out. At night
times, muggers and thieves get into relatively empty compartments during
these halt periods and then threaten us and loot.” Frankly, I had never
thought of this realistic possibility. A while before I had spoken to this
lady, I was thinking to myself, “Wow! I am all alone in this compartment and
this is so wonderful because I have all the space to myself,” and I was
stretching out my hands and legs. After what this lady said to me, I was
feeling like a romantic idiot. So, in a city, is this what happens to an
empty space? Shit!
The train halted for a long time between Marine Lines and Churchgate
stations, waiting for the track clearance signal. The woman then said to me,
“See, we have this chain to pull in order to alert the guard, but by the
time we get to this bit of action, the thief would have already gotten to
us. And sometimes, these people have weapons and they threaten us with them
if we try to pull the chain.
This was a local Maharashtrian woman who probably hailed from the
unorganized sector. She taught me the difference between courage and
impulse. Her attitude reinforced my beliefs about fraternity and community
between women!!!

While I was thinking about this incident, I walked towards the door of the
compartment to hang around the pole (which is quite an emotional support
during lonely periods). I was wondering about how the human mind and
emotions work. We want space, but when there is lots of space, we want
someone, some people around because we cannot be alone. The empty space
grows on us after a while. While hanging onto the pole, I peered into the
other corner of the compartment and actually saw another woman sitting
snugly by the window. I could not see her earlier because of the partition
separating the two window seats in the same compartment. My hunch was proved
right! I knew I was not sitting alone all this while … (in the
compartment)!!!

-	Zainab Bawa
-	For communication, email zainabbawa at yahoo.com