[Reader-list] sources of violence

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Sun Apr 11 19:37:55 IST 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 05:24:36PM -0700, aditya velivelli wrote:
> Why Bollywood films are prime motivators of rape and
> other forms of violence:
>
> http://www.hindu.com/mag/2004/04/11/stories/2004041100350200.htm

What is your opinion on this piece? Personally, however nicely the
conclusion is put, I cannot agree with this and believe it's a
tremendously simplistic portraying of the issues at hand.

It has to do with lack of respect and contempt for the female, which
I personally believe comes forth from societal and cultural structures
which do nothing to disprove of such behaviour and at times even
encourage it.

It is the turning around of problem and symptom. The problem is not movies
with as symptom the assaults of women: the problem is a lack of respect
and the seeing of the female as a lesser person, which might or might not
be a view that is confirmed by certain movies.

Assault of women has always been an issue, long before how they were shown
in movies became one.

Menso