[Reader-list] Looking for Ideas for Distribution of Reader 04

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan at hotpop.com
Wed Apr 14 07:47:32 IST 2004

Hi,
[using someone else's mail snippet and replying]

> Shuddhabrata Sengupta wrote:
>
> >Dear Friends,
> >
> >As you know, the Sarai Reader 04 was published in February this
year, and the
> >people who have been able to lay their hands on the book are coming
back to
> >us with very positive responses. Many people are also saying that
it is
> >difficult to get copies of the book and that it hasnt really moved
into
> >bookstores.

Primarily one has to define the category of readership that finds the
Sarai Reader 04 [Crisis/Media] appealing. In wishes, it is best
defined as 'all people would (and should) read the Reader 04' but in
reality it is never the case. Defining the target audience is
associated with reductionism - agreed, but it also facilitates placing
the Reader 04 on very focussed shelves.

For other cities I cannot possibly tell, for Kolkata however, here are
a few suggestions:

[1] Landmark
[2] Oxford Bookstore
[3] Seagull

While [1] & [2] are more centrally located, albeit not on the
'book-street', they understand how to display titles in a
reader-oriented environment. [3] has an always updated website
(compared to the other 2) which translates into a lot of perusing of
the category titles. [3] also has a reputation for storing 'off-beat'
titles thus attracting an eclectic crowd.

The D-I-Y approach is appealing and perhaps well suited to the Reader
04. In this case, a few individuals could be entrusted with the
responsibility of stocking the books and distributing them, the
publicity material being the soft copy of some of the selected
articles.

I am suffering from such a lag in replying to mails, that even
apologising for not writing this earlier on, should not be sufficient.
However, better late than never.

The Sarai Reader 04 does make a very nice collection - great work done
by the team.

Warm regards
Sankarshan

A GNU-Linux Community(@)Madhyamgram