[Reader-list] [Announcements] jagah: the gender and sexuality exhibition

Monica Mody mody_monica at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:37:53 IST 2004

Dear all,

The Nigah Media Collective is organizing a gender and sexuality exhibition
at Delhi in September, in
collaboration with the Campaign Against Censorship (Films for Freedom). I'm
attaching the call for
entries fyi.

Thanks,

Monica

JAGAH: IN SEARCH OF SPACES
THE GENDER AND SEXUALITY EXHIBITION
Arpana Fine Arts Gallery, Academy of Fine Arts & Literature, New Delhi
25-27 September 2004
Presented by the Nigah Media Collective

THE MONTH OF FREE SPEECH: CAMPAIGN AGAINST CENSORSHIP

Jagah is a space where one can hang out, meet people, talk and share
experiences, without having to struggle to fit. A jagah for expression and
mediations on gender and sexuality, on our bodies and our desires, our
silences – both chosen and imposed. A space one can claim as one’s own, one
without judgments, one that is not just about “art”, but about creativity,
expression, and resistance.

In mounting this multimedia exhibition, our aim is to bring to the center
expressions of gender and sexuality that are forced to live at the margins.
What does our gender mean to us? What does our sexuality mean to us? How do
we choose to express them/share them?  Where are the hidden spaces within
and between the labels of “gay”, “straight”, “lesbian”, “bisexual”,
“transgender”, “man” and “woman”? What do these names give us and what do
they take away?

We seek to question the assumptions of desire and identity – conceptions of
normality, compulsory heterosexuality, the binaries of “man” and “woman”,
inevitable and morally superior monogamy, notions of which sex goes with
which gender which goes with which body – that try to impose ways of
thinking about sexuality on all of us. Jagah is where we break the
silence(s) around our bodies and our sexualities, both as an act of
conscious resistance and as a means of exploration and expression.

How you can contribute

This exhibition is about our personal experiences, no matter how little (we
think) they resemble “art”. The exhibition space itself, more than a space
to “see” the exhibits, is where we speak out and start some good
conversations.

-	photographs
-	paintings
-	line drawings
-	posters
-	t-shirts
-	sculpture
-	film/video
-	audio streams
-	performances (poetry, music, theatre, dance)
-	other media
-	ideas

Deadline

Send in submissions by the 5th of September, 2004. And whenever or however,
join us to help put together the exhibition. Jagah can work only if it is a
communal effort.

Who we are

Nigah is a group of people committed to opening up spaces for discussions
around gender and sexuality by using different forms of media.

The exhibition is part of a broader movement against censorship that
includes artists, activists, filmmakers, writers, poets, cartoonists,
lawyers, teachers and students. Campaign Against Censorship seeks to draw
linkages between people and movements that have faced censorship, and to
explore the dynamics of similarity and dissonance between censorship of
films and other forms of expression including theatre, art, literature,
popular culture, press and reports by NGOs.

Contact

Email: nigahmedia at yahoo.com
Phone: 9811269257/ 9810253342
Website: http://www.geocities.com/nigahmedia