[Reader-list] [Fwd: Avinash Post No.1]

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Aug 12 17:39:05 IST 2004

*

SARAI POST 1 - Avinash Kumar

*

Its amazing how you always see a Jhoolewala when you aren’t looking for
them. So it seems like they have all disappeared though I have been
doing the rounds of the colonies every evening now.

One evening, I finally turn a corner and there he is! I introduce
myself, and as we walk together, I try to explain the project to him
above the din of the contraption itself. He is very amused (just as I
had expected), especially when I tell him I want to push the Jhoola
myself one of these days.

The path of the Jhoola immediately brings out the conflicts between the
Jhoola and the City. Bleating horns, irate pedestrians, and impatient
scooters welcome the Jhoolewala as he snakes through the traffic. The
summer holidays are on, and he tells me he has to plan out his times
according to the season and school timings. My conversation with him
reveals the interesting insights he has on modern children, their
mothers and their maids. (More on the actual experience of the Jhoola
and children later)

We walk back to his home after an unprofitable evening for him, so he is
no mood to engage in our project talk. I meet his sons and cousins and
nephews, some of whom are also engaged in the same business, but have
taken a departure from the traditional job of pushing the Jhoolas.
Instead, they rent out the Jhoolas for birthday parties and carnivals,
transporting them by tempo and plying them at the party (or /palti/, as
they might say). On being informed that this is the regular practice in
the younger Jhoolewalas, I think about how the Jhoola is losing its
wheels, and ironically going further, from the level of the locality, to
the level of the city. All you need is the mobile number of the
‘manager’, and the Jhoola is at your doorstep. I am not so sure at this
stage if that is a good thing or not, so I will wait out my thoughts on
that one.

Further conversations with the family (and friends who have by now
accumulated) reveal how it is only the old man who still continues to
push the Jhoola in the colony – he says that’s all he knows. I try again
to explain the project to them, and realize the need to really figure
out methods to do just that.