[Reader-list] campaigning against death penalty

nisha - mirzachhotoo at yahoo.co.in
Sat Aug 21 09:52:23 IST 2004

Dear Rahul,

I am glad that you share the concerns.

And no, I have not made an assumption that those who are against death penalty for rapists are male chauvinists. Those were the kind of comments I heard at different venues in the debates around the current death penalty case. Indian feminists have made their stand against death penalty clear.

About death penalty not being a deterrent to rape, I would not argue from this position at all. Two reasons: first, it will strengthen the notions related to chastity and sexual purity of women - a violence of their body being a violence against the family/community identity. And second, despite the existing laws being not so stringent, the current conviction rate remains abysmally low. Applying this argument the conviction rate should have been higher. We are still dependent on the attitude of the judges and prosecution for a conviction.

 As I mentioned in my previous mail about portrayal of Dhananjoy Chatterjee, all we have been hearing in the media is how traumatized he has been, how well behaved he is, how he has been worshipping and devoting time reading geeta, what he has been writing, how much he loves music, how his family is grieving, how supportive people from his village has been and so on. And this is where I make a point of departure. The campaign has been uncritical and ended up romanticizing a rapist and a murderer.  He should have lived and languished in a jail forever, regretting or not but definitely knowing that he committed a crime. The glory that was bestowed on him, perhaps made him see himself as the wronged hero.

As for your question regarding how sexually assaulted women can to be stigmatized and denigrated, I have not been able to figure it out entirely. But I often think in terms of the practices of the social systems and institutions that burden women as symbols of family and community’s identity and the ‘good’ old patriarchy that places the onus of keeping safe on women rather than holding the perpetrator accountable.  There’s something more fundamental, sex as an oppressive mechanism to control those who due to various other reasons are already rendered weak in the power relations.

Warmly,

Nisha

"Asthana, Rahul" <Rahul.Asthana at CIBC.com> wrote:Nisha,
I fully agree with you that there should be more discussion on this,and it is not as simple as black and white.
But there is something that  we must make distinctions about and separate - for eg. the debate for and against death penalty should not be linked to the tolerance or intolerance of sexual violence against women. If someone is against death penalty for the rapist it should not be construed as fostering male chauvinism of the worst type as you say-
"We also told that if you can't do that then stay at home (as if that is a safe place) and kept safe from threats ranging from a load flesh coming on your screen in the next door cyber café to pinching, flashing and verbal sexal assault on the road, in the shops and at public place store. "

If such a message is sent out, it is unfortunate.How the seriousness of the crime manifests itself into the seriousness of the punishment, is an issue to be examined.
Someone earlier posted that if death penalty becomes the norm in such cases, more people might be let off without any punishment. so, the debate can have other angles as well.

Furthermore, this is my personal opinion and I would like to examine it by posting it here, that the heinousness of sexual violence is actually a double whammy against women.Every culture, not just eastern and third world, but western and developed countries too, somehow  treat rape as something which is demeaning to the victim herself.There are hoards of examples in our culture. For example - I can rememeber countless scenes from hindi movies when the woman after being raped..says..
"Ab to mai kisi ko muh dikhane ke kabil nahi rahi.." and goes to commit suicide or something.Or another-the term "izzat lootna "
How can somebody loot somebody's izzat? If a man is raping a woman, is he surrendering his own izzat or looting hers? Why we tolerate and use such language?
I wonder how it came to be this way.Sometimes I feel this is like a big conspiracy which generations of men have perpetrated against women, and we are so steeped in
this nonsense that we make it true by believing in it. We are actually making the crime more heinous by believing that it is heinous.I think that the after the victim is raped, besides the obvious physical trauma of rape, she also has to undergo pity of the bechari rape victim and stuff like that. Its not like a car hit you when you are crossing the road and you report the driver to the police.The pity for a rape victim is like "iski to life barbad ho gayi.." and not like "iska haath toot gaya" or something.
Again,besides the cultural component, there is one more component of the stupidity against rape victims- male chauvinism .some males feel that if a girl wears "provocative" clothes,she is a party to the crime and she invites rape, which is comeple BS according to me.I wonder what they would feel if they were raped by girls for wearing some tight jeans or stuff like that.So, in campaigning against sexual violence, if we work against the attitudes pertaining to it, so that-
a) The victim does not get patronizing ,demeaning and idiotic sympathy and ostracization.
b) Her case is judged farily and the blame  not  apportioned to her for not confirming to some stupid parochial norms ..
he  ostracizing of victims and the shame they might possibly feel(ironically) for being a victim might possibly change.That might lead to more and more rape cases being reported and rapsits being punished.

Thanks and regards
Rahul