[Reader-list] campaigning against death penalty

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Tue Aug 24 12:18:59 IST 2004

Dear Rahul and Nisha,

I agree with you completely. Perhaps this is precisely why we now refer
to 'rape survivors' rather than 'rape victims'. I recall a very
sensitive, and brave, article written by a rape survivor a few years ago
that came out in a newspaper published from Calcutta, I forget which.
She had been raped but in her piece she echoed the sentiments you
express in your postings- that she was not broken, that this was not the
worst thing that could happen to a woman, that it was as bad as any
other horrendous expereince that is sometimes visisted upon us. Phoolan
Devi's outrage at her portrayal in Bandit Queen related in part to the
manner in which the film misrepresented her desire to seek vengance from
her opressors. While some of it related to the sexual assault she
sufferred, equally important was her anger at the fact that the landlord
had stolen her land.

Regards,

Aarti