[Reader-list] Subject: An Urgent Appeal- Circulate to friends

avinash kumar avinash at sarai.net
Wed Dec 8 15:11:59 IST 2004

Dear Friends,

ANHAD (Act Now for Harmony and Democracy) is a Delhi based organization,
which came into existence in March 2003.

We have been working in Kalol, a small town near Godhra for quite
sometime. A large number of people who were unable to return to their
original villages after the Gujarat carnage of 2002 were rehabilitated
near Kalol. For over two years a large section of the students have not
been able to resume their studies. Many of them have lost their fathers
or other members of the family.

Anhad is bringing 25 of these young students to Delhi on December 20,
2004. A good public school in South Delhi has agreed to give them
admission from the coming session in April, 2005.

We have been able to locate a very cheap place for their stay in Delhi.

Anhad has been able to do a large amount of work only because of the
support of hundreds of other organizations, supporting its work and
thousands of friends who have given us donations regularly to continue
our work. Anhad?s share in the work done so far has been mainly the
human resources, again a large number of young volunteers who give time
on voluntary basis to make things happen.

We have got commitment from 25 people to support the actual fee, books,
uniform etc.

We urgently require to do the following:

Convert the place available into a hostel
Arrange regular funds for their food and other living expenses
Arrange regular tuitions ( Maths, English, Hindi) for four months till
they join the school
Arrange after school tuitions from April 2005
Arrange funds for paid tutors, for other staff to take care of the
children in the hostel

We urgently require donations to make this possible. For the hostel we
require 30 bunk beds, mattresses, sheets, pillows, blankets, gas
cylinders, cooking range, geysers, one refrigerator, plates, utensils
etc, study tables, chairs etc.,

We urgently require volunteers to commit regular time to teach them and
organize other activities with them.

This is an urgent appeal to all friends to donate immediate funds, long-
term donations, time.

Those of you who have been associated with Anhad closely know our
permanent economic crises but we never shelve an idea because there are
no funds, we always presume that there are enough people who would
support our work.

I am writing to you with this same optimism that together we will be
able to make this happen.

Donations to Anhad are exempt under section 80 G of the Income Tax Act,
1961.  Anhad takes donations from within India only. We do not take
foreign funds.

Let?s join hands together to give a better future to these young students.

Sincerely

Shabnam Hashmi

anhad_delhi at yahoo.co.in>