[Reader-list] re: acts of leisure

avinash kumar avinash at sarai.net
Wed Dec 8 18:10:05 IST 2004

A series of contributions on the theme and they all invoke certain
memories, provoke certain reactions.
To begin with, Joy's take on our conditioning with the concept of
leisure and work and also thr previous rejoinders by Iram and others on
the usage of leisure as a means of social control seem to be coalescing
for me.
 From my personal memory of school days, I recall certain teachers who
would always ask us to 'read' during our 'leisure period' (that was when
a teacher was out of station or indisposed etc). These readings could be
anything, from a novel to readings done for mathematics homework (for
which I was always tracked skillfully by a certain teacher who had taken
a liking for me and who thought I should devote more time to practising
sums). It was here that I tended to agree more with the idea of
'leisure' expounded by a certain geography teacher who talked about
Bimal Mitra's novels among other things of physical geography and a
certain Hindi teacher who kept egging me by asking what was the latest
novel I was reading those days. And sure to earn browny points, I would
always oblige him with a certain exotic sounding name and actually all
my free periods would be spent in reading some or the other novel.

It was much later during my university days that I came across Terry
Eagleton's text book Literary Theory: An Introduction (1983/1996). Among
other things it gave me a very interesting, shall I say, information
that with the proliferation of literacy and print culture, idea of
reading fiction got institutionalised with its increasing popularity
among the literate middle class women of the bourgeoisie as well as the
working classes. It was on this premise that literature as a discipline
was geared towards 'neutralising' the so-called subversive potential of
these sections. Interestingly it was in India that literature,
particularly 'high English literature' was initiated as a formal
discipline to be introduced in the university system even before it was
done so in England. On this front, it was geared more towards
instituionalising colonial cultural supremacy on one hand while
'neutralising' the subjects through this 'useless act of leisure'. It
was held true for both the societies, Britain and India, that the
subjects like sciences, philosophy etc were considered more 'manly',
hence useful for the ruling classes (if I am allowed to use this
cliche), while reading literature was considered to be worthy for women
and working classes at home and colonial subjects in the colonies.
Its altogether different story that these very forms of social-political
control by a certain inculcation of reading habits got turned into
arenas of challenges by all these 'subjects', women, working classes and
colonial subjects.
I think I have overdone a bit, so I will stop right here for the moment.

avinash