[Reader-list] autobiography of an alien

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Thu Dec 9 10:54:45 IST 2004

Interesting stuff from The Dawn via writers forum. Apologies for x-posting.
Enjoy.

Ravikant

[Writers Forum] Autobiography of a national alien
द्वारा:
Munir Saami <munirsaami at yahoo.com
Writers_Forum <writers_forum at yahoogroups.com
तिथि:
रविवार 7:18:59 अपरान्ह

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/dmag/dmag7.htm

Amar Jaleel is a well-known Sindhi author.  Among his
famous works is a Sindhi book is 'jaddehn maan na huundusi'
----------------------
Autobiography of a national alien
By Amar Jaleel

It's a pity that sometimes the people who sincerely wish to do something
constructive for their country are treated as strangers by those who call the
shots.

The huge and hefty deputy director looked straight in my eyes, and exclaimed,
"So, you are an alien!"

I bowed my head, and said, "Yes sir, I am an alien." Without going through my
registration form the deputy director asked, "What is the country of your
origin?"

I said, "India."

"India!" Startled, he asked, "How long have you been in Pakistan?"

"Fifty-seven years," I said.

"Fifty-seven years!" The tough deputy director almost sprung from his seat,
and asked, "Are you confessing you sneaked into Pakistan at the time of the
partition of India?"

"I did not sneak into Pakistan."

"Then, how come are you in Pakistan for the last 57 years?"

"I was born in Karachi."

"But, didn't you tell me your country of origin was India?"

"Yes, I did," I said, "At the time of my birth in 1936, Karachi was in India,
rather British India."

The huge deputy director began scrutinizing my registration form.

It was after reading an advertisement of the National Aliens Registration
Authority, abbreviation NARA, in the newspapers that I in the heart of my
hearts had complimented the government of Pakistan, and decided to get
registered as a national alien. NARA is the brain child of geniuses sitting
among the high ranking functionaries tasked with running the affairs of the
government of Pakistan. I thanked heavens. The rulers had finally reconciled
with the existence of national aliens in Pakistan. It can't be more torturous
for a person to live a life of an outcast in his own country. Isolation is
the severest punishment a society inflicts on a person who exercises his
fundamental right to dissent. It has been guaranteed to us in the
Constitution. But then, who cares for the Constitution!

I do not know what prompted our government to register the national aliens in
the country. Maybe the rapidly growing number of the aliens among the
Pakistanis alarmed the rulers and they judiciously decided to keep a track of
them. The government maintains accurately enumerated figures of the
frustrated, insane, demented, lunatic, and psychopaths in Pakistan. The
government also knows the number of sick persons who suffer from Aids,
tuberculosis, diabetes, heart diseases, cancer, depression, and other
malignant ailments. The percentage of the children not going to the school,
the dropouts, the illiterates, and the unemployed is known to the government.
The rulers know the number of sick and starving men, women, and children who
survive, sleep, and die on footpaths. With the registration of the local
aliens the government would be able to count on fingers the number of the
expedient few who uphold the deeds and the misdeeds of the ruling clique.

I am not a born alien. With the passage of time I have transformed into an
alien in my own country. The rulers, their functionaries in judiciary and
executive, the parliamentarians, the law makers and the law breakers appear
strange to me. The system smacks of alienation for the dissidents. Prior to
my seeing an advertisement of NARA in the newspapers for the registration of
the aliens I had always thought I would choke to death someday for being an
alien in the country, wherein once I was not an alien. I decided to avail the
opportunity. I collected the registration form, filled it carefully, and
deposited it with the lower staff in NARA. One day I was summoned to appear
before the deputy director for removing certain anomalies from my application
form.

I appeared before the bald deputy director. He was as hefty and as tough as an
ox. From his flattened nose I guessed, he must have remained a street fighter
><DEFANGED.131 in his youthful years. He spoke in a hoarse voice, and said "So, you were
born in Karachi!"

"Yes sir."

"What makes you think you are an alien?"

"I do not think I am an alien," I said, "I certainly am an alien."

"In what way are you an alien?"

"The environs have become hostile and unfamiliar to me," I thought for a
while, and said, "I can't reconcile either with recurrent martial laws, or
with the degenerated politicians. This county has been starving for democracy
for the last 57 years."

At that juncture the tough deputy director was joined by a couple of
odd-looking muscular men in plain clothes. They sank in the sofa placed
beneath a widow shimmering with mercuric blinds. I said, "The Muslim
leadership desired for a separate homeland, but they did not deserve it. They
have made a mockery of their own country."

"You can't be registered as an alien."

The deputy director placed his massive arms on the table, leaned forward, and
surprised me with a blunt question, "Would you like to be sent back to the
country of your origin, the British India?"

------