[Reader-list] Re: marking city scapes

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Mon Dec 27 10:15:25 IST 2004

Hi Solly,
Thanks for the insights and comments. I am still caugetating over them.
One of the things that I find very funny and at the same time dangerous in
this city is when bureaucrats decide to undertake beautification projects
in the city. This is what is happening between the State Govt., the MMRDA
and some of the bureaucrats. Come to think of it, Vilasrao is interested
in Mumbai precisely because here is where he can show the works he has
done. Right now, the state govt. is bad in terms of its financial shape.
Let's cash in on Mumbai. What I also find intriguing is the relaitonship
or should I say nexus, but I am going to avoid that word for now between
the state government and the businesses. The big businesses. Big
businesses are interested in beautifying the city, coverting it into a
tourist hub. But frankly, there is no tourism in Mumbai without the street
life. That is exactly what is most fascinating and daring about this city.
In the next two days, I shall post something which sums up my
investigations of VT railway station - the very diversity of the space is
what makes it beautiful apart from the structure which admittedly is
fabulous and built with fascinating detailing.
Yeah, I think Shantaram is brilliant, most beautiful piece of work on
Bombay thus far. A must read!
More later.
Cheers,
Zainab