[Reader-list] Tsunami news on News Rack

Subramanya Sastry sastry at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 28 23:42:08 IST 2004

Hello everyone,

With support from Sarai's FLOSS independent fellowship between April and
September, I started work on an automated news monitoring tool called
News Rack.

A very preliminary system has been up and running for the past 2 months. At
this time, responding to suggestions from friends, I have created a profile on
News Rack to collect tsunami-related newsclippings (from a few newspapers
providing RSS feeds) and categorize them.  I have created a quick and
rudimentary categorization at this time -- it can (and will be) refined over
time -- please feel free to email me your suggestions as to how this can be
recategorized.

You can visit this page at:
http://floss.sarai.net/newsrack/Browse.do?owner=tsunami&issue=tsunami
News on this page will be continually updated.

You can also visit this by clicking on the 'Browse' link on the front page
http://floss.sarai.net/newsrack

I will not pretend that this will be terribly useful to many of you, but,
perhaps it might be of some interest and use to hopefully some of you.
Having said that, I have found interesting articles that I would otherwise
have not seen.

Feedback on the classification specifically, and more generally about the tool
is welcome and appreciated.

Subbu.