[Reader-list] Re: Understanding the Patenting of Traditional Knowledge-In response

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Feb 3 07:18:34 IST 2004

Greetings Jeebesh/all

Thanks for this thoughtful response.

Firstly, my apologies if in my haste I suggested that you were translating
open source ideas into traditional knowledge practices. You were of course
very careful to outline your notes as an intervention into a property
discourse, which as you clearly point out is not a traditional form of
knowledge.  I agree with you strongly on this.

I guess my question then becomes about the perspective from which we engage
in cross-cultural dialogue about the political dynamics of traditional
knowledge, when custodians of traditional knowledge identify 'property' as
the most useful framework to protect their control, when it is under threat
from neocolonial interests.

The first question which comes to mind immediately is our desire to have a
conversation about traditional knowledge and its implications. That is a
whole new discussion in itself and I won't pursue it except to say that I
have conversations with owners of traditional knowledge and this does come
up. I also think the dialogue holds great potential for disrupting some
pernicious aspects of transnational capitalism, though I am still unsure
about the ethics of my role in trafficking between those particular
discussions  about traditional knowledge and a broader political project.

But an implication is this: we acknowledge indigenous self-determination as
a significant part of international anti-capitalist protest activity, and an
important social movement. But what if, as a strategy, indigenous groups
claim ownership of their traditional knowledge as 'property' (whether or not
we think it equates to what we understand to be property). If we take a
resolutely 'anti-property' stance affect our ability to affiliate with those
struggles?

Or, to put it differently, we can look at colonial histories in this part of
the world as including successive demands upon traditional knowledge owners
to "open up" access to their traditional knowledge, under claims that
'unnecessarily protective' measures will have a negative effect on the
communities which produce this knowledge. Can we be confident in our denial
of 'property' we are not asking the same thing? The logic of unintended
consequences suggests to me that it is an area we tread softly in, despite
the urgency of capitalist encroachments on traditional knowledge forms.

I'm not sure if this is still on track, but in any case these are the
questions your response raised - I look forward to more dialogue around
these issues!

Cheers

Danny

--