[Reader-list] RE: Madarsa's of Delhi, A Study about the instiutes of Taliban.

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 10:47:51 IST 2004

No, but my guess is that this project really aims to
break the myth about Indian madrasas being the
breeding grounds for 'Taliban'. He is probably using
the word Taliban sarcastically to highlight its
misplaced connotations in the world today. But I guess
in a formal research project you could do with a more
rational/professional language. Someone with no
background of the situation reading this abstract
would actually assume that all madrasa students are
called Taliban (or behave like them). This is my
reading, and I hope I am correct. If this is not the
case (and if Taliban in this abstract really means
what it means) then I would have my doubts. Any
comments, dear salahuddin.

Yousuf

--- Roohi Iqbal <riqbal at rcis.org> wrote:

> Dear Yousuf,
>
> Thank you for replying to your e-mail to Salahuddin.
> I too was really upset at both the use  of the world
> 'taliban' in that context and also at the assumed
> connection of madrasas  with terrorism. The study
> title is also misleading, as you mentioned, the word
> 'taliban' is not used in the context of the children
> learning at madrasas but with Taliban in
> Afghanistan. I think a rewording of the title and an
> honest and open look (without biases) would do the
> study much more justice.
>
> sincerely,
> Roohi

=== message truncated ===