[Reader-list] BOP becoming the election hot issues

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Fri Feb 13 10:18:32 IST 2004

Over the last month or so, the heat on the Back Office IT industries
is rising. The American elections are going to make this a really hot
issue. Here we are not talking about real economic figures but
symbolic figures that can project fears of entangled, networked
capitalism. It will be interesting to see how this anxiety gets
reflected into our public discourse.

Enclosed is todays news from the Indian Expresss.

best
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=41015
Kerry joins the chorus: I'll never 'export' jobs
Blasts Bush advisor for saying outsourcing is a win-win equation
T V PARASURAM

WASHINGTON, FEBRUARY 12 : Democratic Presidential hopeful John Kerry
has lambasted a key economic advisor to President George W Bush for
defending outsourcing of IT jobs to countries including India.

Gregory Mankiw, Bush's Council of Economic Advisors' Chairman and
noted Harvard economist, was attacked by the Speaker of the House of
Representatives J Dennis Hastert and Senator Kerry for suggesting
that outsourcing to India and other countries in which they have a
comparative advantage is a ''win-win'' for both the exporter and
importer.

''I understand that Mankiw is a brilliant economic theorist but his
theory fails a basic test of real economics. We can'T have a healthy
economy unless we have more jobs here in america, said Speaker
Hastert, the Legislative Leader of the Republicans.

Joining the Republican Speaker in attacking outsourcing, Senator
Kerry said that if he becomes President, his economic policy would be
''not to export American jobs but to reward companies for creating
and keeping jobs in America.''

of my recent comments on outsourcing have been misinterpreted. It is
regrettable whenever anyone leaves a job. Some would respond to the
recent challenges facing the economy by erecting trade barriers.
History teaches that a retreat to economic isolationism would mean
lower living standards for American workers and their families.''

''At the same time, we have to acknowledge that any economic change,
whether arising from trade or technology, can cause painful
dislocations for some workers and their families. The goal of policy
should be to help workers prepare for the global economy of the
future,'' Mankiw said.

Asked if Bush might fire Mankiw because of the views expressed by the
speaker, White House press secretary Scott McClellan called the idea
of sacking him ''laughable.''

''Our economic team,'' said McClellan, ''is doing a great job helping
the President work to strengthen our economy even more. The President
is strongly committed to creating jobs here at home. Certainly, free
and fair trade is important to strengthening our economy even more
and expanding job growth here at home.''

Joe Lockhart, a Democratic party consultant who was press secretary
to former President Bill Clinton, predicted that Bush's opponents
will put a lot of money in advertising to draw attention to Mankiw's
statement.

''I guarantee you,'' said Lockhart,  'this 'will become a central
element of the economic debate.''

-(PTI)
--
Monica Narula [Raqs Media Collective]