[Reader-list] future mumbai....

Arvind Lodaya emailarvind at hotpop.com
Mon Feb 23 15:39:50 IST 2004

Recently, the State government announced its plans to rename the
Prince of Wales museum as the Chhatrapati Shivaji Vastusangrahlaya.
So now we have that in addition to the Chhatrapti Shivaji Terminus,
the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, the Chhatrapati
Shivaji Domestic Airport, and who knows what else.
If this trend continues, we may reasonably speculate what it will be
like in 2050AD.
My name is Chhatrapati Shivaji. My father's name is Chhatrapati
Shivaji. All other names have long since been outlawed.
I wake up everyday at 6:30 am CST (Chhatrapati Standard Time) to go
to my school: Chhatrapati Shivaji Vidyalaya.
It was a little confusing getting there at first, because all schools
in the city have the same name. But once I got directions, it was
fine. All I have to do is go down Chhatrapati Shivaji Road, make a
left turn at Chhatrapati Shivaji Chowk, go straight till Chhatrapati
Shivaji Marg, until I reach Chhatrapati Shivaji School.
Once I got lost and found myself at Chhatrapati Shivaji Chowk instead
of Chhatrapati Shivaji Road. Silly mistake, when I think about it.
My class teacher, Mr C. Shivaji, is a good teacher. Today he asked,
"Chhatrapati, can you answer that question?" The whole class stood up
to answer. Yesterday our school, C. S. Vidyalaya, had a cricket match
with our rival school, C. S. Vidyalaya. Of course, we don't know
which school won.
But that's okay. This weekend, my family and I will go to the zoo,
Chhatrapati Shivaji Pranibaugh, and see all the, um... plants. There
used to be animals there, but they're all dead now. They say it was
due to "negligence" because the keepers were all running for
government, one of them for the office of Prime Chhatrapati.
We have two main telecommunication companies, CSNL and CSNL. One
provides telephone services and the other provides broadband MultiNet
access via the Chhatrapati Shivaji Satellite. Sometimes we don't know
whether we're accessing a website or whether Chhatrapati Shivaji (our
grandmother) is calling up. I'll go online later to see if I have any
new e-mail at chhatrapati at chhatrapatishivaji.cs
Foreigners are often confused which Paanch Sitaara Vishramgraha
(5-ishtar hotel) to stay in, because they all have the same names. I
think the Chhatrapati Shivaji Vishramgraha is pretty good, and one
should stay there rather than the Chhatrapati Shivaji Vishramgraha or
the Chhatrapati Shivaji Vishramgraha.
During the weekend, my family and I might go to the beach, the
Chhatrapati Shivaji Samudrakinara, and after that we may go see a
film. All foreign films are dubbed in Indian languages because, as we
are taught in school:
(1) Nothing foreign is good, and
(2) All things foreign that are good have been stolen from us.
I go to sleep pretty early, after watching the popular TV show Kaun
Banega Chhatrapati.
Tomorrow will be another day... I think. Sometimes, in whispers, I
hear stories told of a mythical age long ago, when places and things
had different names. Stories of a time when each thing had it's own
name, and of a concept called "heterogeneity". It's a legend, only
half-believed, of a time when places and things had a history, and
the city an identity.
Date: 22 November, 450 AC (After Chhatrapati)
Place: Chhatrapati Shivaji Mahanagar (Formerly Bombay City)