[Reader-list] FW: [boell] [lab] copy adorno, go to jail? textz.com doesn't think so (fwd)

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Wed Feb 25 11:35:13 IST 2004

Have been following IP enforcement raids and cases. We are at the
beginning of a sharp social conflict that is going to affect the very
way we think and conduct ourselves in this world. The Culture of the
Copy will proliferate and so will the mad property regimes will seek
massive enforcement regime. Where are we heading towards...? (Below
is a news snippet on the enforcement on the kazaa peer-to-peer
network.)

I would definitely recommend a quick read of the open letter to Jan
Reemstsma by textz.com. Poses things nice and poetically!
(http://textz.com/adorno/open_letter.txt)

best
-----------------------------

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0210kazaaowner.html?fsrc=rss-applications
Kazaa owner Sharman fights court order
By Gillian Law
IDG News Service, 02/10/04

Sharman Networks, the owner and distributor of the Kazaa peer-to-peer
network, Tuesday said that it has applied to have a court order set
aside after a raid last week by Music Industry Piracy Investigations,
a subsidiary of the Australian Recording Industry Association.

This application prevents the recording industry from accessing
seized documents until the judge has considered the case, Sharman
Networks said.

MIPI had won an Anton Pillar order against Sharman Networks from a
judge at the Federal Court of Australia, allowing it to search the
premises of the Cremorne, Australia, company on Feb. 6.

An Anton Pillar order is often used in software piracy cases, and
gives the applicant the right to raid the premises of the respondent,
without notice, and seize documentary or other evidence.

However, MIPI did not make several facts clear to the judge when
applying for the order and the order should therefore be set aside,
Sharman said in a statement. Sharman contends that the music industry
has been unsuccessful in similar proceedings in the U.S. and the
Netherlands, and that the company has cooperated with the U.S.
proceedings by producing documents and statements. Having done so, it
should not have to go through the same process in Australia, it said.

The judge will hear the case on Feb. 20, Sharman said. In the
meantime, the recording industry is unable to gain access to any
documents seized under the order, the company said.

--
Monica Narula [Raqs Media Collective]
Sarai-CSDS