[Reader-list] FW: [boell] [lab] copy adorno, go to jail?textz.com doesn't think so (fwd)

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Thu Feb 26 16:07:30 IST 2004

Dear Britta, (dear andreas)

I am not sure i understood your arguments but i would think that one
needs to consider the argument that copyright protects the author a
little seriously.

Lets look into this carefully:

Most scientific research is funded by public money. Research
publications are controlled by a handful of publishers and i think
that almost nothing goes out as royalties to the writers of these
articles. If a library needs all the journals to be updated in its
area of research, that institution requires literally millions in its
library budget. Obviously, it will produce a further unequal social
arrangement globally - ie in areas where libraries would have few
resources, and do have increasingly dwindling resources. How does one
understand this situation.?

As far as i have seen, the royalties from academic publications do
not account for the research that goes into the book. The research is
usually funded through public resource arrangements (grants,
fellowships etc). The author, in this case, will benefit from a
global circulation with a vibrant copy culture, and so will the
institution that makes the research possible. I do not see how it
will produce a worse society. Take the example of E.J.Brill
Publishers; they price books at nothing less than $200 with with
rights vested with them for 60 years. And Brill publishes critical
studies on religion that are crucial today (than ever before,
considering how much is happening in the name of religion). If
someone makes unauthorised copies of these books and circulates, they
will do a world of good.

You refer to 'protecting my or sarai's property right'.....all of
what we publish is open to circulation and and freely available in
our website. You can download all of it and republish. Since we
publish many different authors, we request them for this practice and
till today nobody has objected. We print pdfs because it is Sarai's
design version. People are free to contact authors for printing in
other publications or circulation requirements directly.

Most of what i have written (with colleagues) is also open to this
ethos. About my photographs, i put into circulation things that i
like to share and publish. Some i keep to myself and for friends as
shared moments. Non-commisioned stuff i have not protected. With
commissioned work, we get into a more difficult ground and try out
options.

You have been to Sarai and consulted our archives of audio recordings
of workshops, talks. We do not ask people to sign any document to
protect our rights. We expect researchers to be fair and acknowledge
the author/speaker. And, a large volume of our audio recording is on
the web and none of our speakers have objected to this.

Our argument is simple. Since we are a public funded body, our output
should be openly available. That does not make it that everyone is
reading or copying, or jumping with happiness!! And frankly our print
version does well and gets us decent returns, but is unfortunately
yet to be pirated!

I am not sure about the invocation of art by Andreas. Most
unauthorised copying is way outside this context and one would expect
art contexts to at least reflect on this reality. Everyday many raids
are being carried out and court cases are being filed for
unauthorised copying and faking. This is a reality we are living in -
we need to think about it with some seriousness. We have few
intellectual resources at present to understand this experience. And
as we read Foucault today, and wonder about the making of 'abnormals'
and 'delinquents/criminals' two hundred years ago, people too will
read about this time a 100 years on, and wonder...

best
Monica

Monica Narula [Raqs Media Collective]
Sarai:The New Media Initiative