[Reader-list] FW: [boell] [lab] copy adorno, go to jail?textz.com doesn't think so (fwd)

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Fri Feb 27 17:15:06 IST 2004

dear monica,

thanks for your message. your response to britta is perfectly
understandable from the perspective of somebody who does not want to
restrict the usage of texts, talks, images, etc., and who trusts
people to use them fairly.

the question that you do not address is how you will argue with
someone who is not intent on giving up his rights to, in this case, a
text by Adorno. there's a private foundation that owns these rights
and that does not subscribe to your belief in free usage, they see
their text online in an unauthorised version, they make a claim in
court -- so easy. -- how do you argue with them? how do you address
the fact that they see their property and its exploitable potential
stolen from them? we can argue about the deep principles (or
impossibilities) of 'intellectual property', but so far this concept
is embedded in a filigree structure of international and national
laws which it will be difficult to debunk.

i admire your faith in the inevitability of the coming of an
enlightened copy culture, 100 years from now. however, i doubt that
it will come about all by itself, and what i was trying to suggest
was that we need good arguments and strategies for challenging the
current regimes of ownership in intellectual property. this will be
the more difficult, as in the 'knowledge economy' this 'intellectual
property' is becoming the most valuable stuff there is -- more
valuable than gold, in the case of some software or entertainment
products...

this is why i believe that there needs to be much more than a
moralistic campaign, but really an engagement with the economic and
political structures that are held in place by the current principles
of (intellectual) property. otherwise we do not know what 'copy
culture' is up against.

what are the long-term political strategies for fostering a new
understanding of the rights of usage in cultural products, an
understanding which will have not only a moral, but also a legal
grounding? i read this morning that the movie, Lord of the Rings
Pt.3, has billed over 1 billion US-dollars. how is it possible to
convince somebody that s/he should not be able to exclusively exploit
such a valuable product?

regards from berlin,

-a