[Reader-list] Digital Art Ontology

Kenneth Fields ken at ccom.edu.cn
Sat Jan 24 11:06:00 IST 2004

DAO: Digital Art Ontology Project
http://dao.cim3.net

An Invitation to Collaborative Knowledge Building  (Please Distribute)

This is a call for collaboration in the design of a standard (in the
dynamic sense of the word) digital art ontology. If you are interested
in issues of how concepts in media art intermap with neighbor or upper
structured knowledge domains, then please contribute your expertise
toward what is intended to be a (re)useable knowledge base resource for
our community.  Knowledge domain experts must contribute toward
knowledge organization efforts (digital libraries, semantic web,
concept representation and navigation) in their field. Now is the time;
it’s either specify or be specified.

DAO is an open ontology initiative. We plan to focus both on the
methods for online collaborative ontology building, as well as our
content goal – the creation, maintenance and extension of an online
dynamic media arts knowledge base.  The DAO project is to be a resource
for the standard upper (SUO) and middle ontology efforts that are
underway. Knowledge domain specification is an extremely challenging
undertaking, especially in such an encompassing and dynamic field as
digital media arts. Thus, we are seeking varied perspectives, multiple
levels of participation (obsessed ontologists, lucid lurkers, devout
developers), multi-lingual vocabularies (how do you translate
technoetic into Chinese), and interdisciplinary talents (computer
music/literature/art, acoustics/optics/dsp, theoretical, semiotic,
ontological, eye/ear, consciousness, cybernetics, etc.).

When you visit our portal at http://dao.cim3.net, you have the option
of going to the wiki or the the dao-forum listserv (subscribe), both of
which await your involvement – we’re just beginning.

Hope to hear from you.

Principle Inquirist :
Dr. Kenneth Fields
Professor Media Arts/Computer Music
CEMC - China Center for Electronic Music
Central Conservatory of Music
43 BaoJia Street
XiCheng District
Beijing, China, 100031