[Reader-list] First Posting -- Peer-to-peer News distribution network

Soumava Das soumava at vsnl.com
Sat Jan 24 23:37:33 IST 2004

Hello,
	We are working on implementing a Peer-to-Peer News
Distribution Network which we believe will be the first of its kind and will
usher in a new paradigm in the field of news distribution. A short write-
up discussing the background and motivation, the features needed to
be implemented, etc. is given below.

Current News Distribution Scenario.
Traditionally news distribution has been the preserve of the rich and
powerful media corporations. To run a newspaper, a television channel
or a radio station needs so much expertise, capital investment and
management skills that it is not possible for any individual or small
group of individuals to engage in distribution of news. It is true that
India (especially West Bengal) has a culture of publishing what is called
"little magazines" but they have a limitation of limited circulation and are
usually for publishing literary works as opposed to presentation of news
items to the general public at large on a regular basis.

The individual could not disseminate news of his/her choice using the
traditional news distribution channels as the individual is totally
dependent on the large media corporations for news distribution. These
corporations have their own agenda and limitations besides being
subjected to censorship whether self-imposed or externally dictated.

Internet was a major break through in the area of news distribution. For
the first, the ordinary people found an avenue to publish their views and
also any news items of their choice. However to publish such news
items an individual needs a web space which usually costs a significant
amount of money. Also, these websites usually operate in logical
isolation or at the maximum as a member of some web-ring. Thus there
is no general facility to search for news items on such web sites other
than the normal web search facilities provided by companies like
Google. This is a great drawback of the Internet based news publication
making it limited in its success as effective mass media. Also, the
websites suffer from problems associated with centralised control like
censorship and denial of service. Besides, the load of distributing the
news is borne mainly by the publisher of the news item and not shared
by the users. This results in high resource requirements and
consequently large investments in case of sites that are frequently
visited. Though there are plenty of small websites publishing news
items run by individuals, these sites suffer from poor visibility and thus
do not achieve the goal of providing an effective alternative news
distribution channel. Thus we find that the Internet based news
distribution is controlled largely by the same media corporations that
control the traditional media channels.

We believe that a peer-to-peer news distribution network can overcome
some the major short-comings of the present news distribution
channels.

Brief Introduction to Peer-to-Peer Computing.
One of the oldest uses of the term "peer-to-peer computing" is in IBM's
Systems Network Architecture documents on LU6.2 Transactions, over
25 years ago. The term, which we shall use interchangeably with p2p,
came to the fore very publicly with the rise and fall of Napster [7].
Peer-to-peer systems are distributed Internet applications in which the
resources of a large number of autonomous participants are harnessed
in order to carry out the system's function. In many cases, peers form
self-organising networks that are layered over the top of conventional
Internet protocols and have no centralized structure.

Peer-to-peer systems have evolved to support resource sharing in an
environment characterised by users potentially numbering millions,
most with homogeneous desktop systems and low bandwidth,
intermittent connections to the Internet. As such, the emphasis has
been on global fault-tolerance and massive scalability.

Features Desired in a Peer-to-peer News Distribution Network.
o	Empowerment: Any user of the network should be empowered
to distribute news items on any topic should he/she desire to do so.
This is the primary requirement of the news distribution network.

o	Indic Script Support: We should be able to support Indic scripts
natively (maybe using Unicode) so that the news items in Indian
languages can be distributed and viewed seamlessly. We consider this
feature essential since most of the Indian users are not native English
speakers and the network will fail to fulfil its objective of empowerment if
it remains restricted to the English-speaking elite population.

We request any reader with expertise in Indic support to offer his/her
help to us.

o	Low Bandwidth Requirements: Most of the users, especially in
India, are expected to have intermittent and low-bandwidth connection
to the Internet. Thus the news distribution network should be such that
the users can use the network fruitfully. This would require careful
design of the network so as to incorporate feature such as on-the-fly
compression/decompression, resumption of interrupted transfers, file-
splitting (so as to minimise the load on a single peer), and intelligent
routing substrate.

o	Multimedia Support: The network and the associated software
should be able to handle multimedia news items like video clips and
audio recordings. The impact and importance of the electronic visual
media cannot be overlooked while creating a system for the future.
Also, multimedia support gains greater significance in the Indian context
since a large portion of the population is illiterate or more importantly
semi-literate (i.e. literate only for the purpose of government statistics)
and audio/video news items will be more accessible for them. These
people can always ask someone to search and locate the item but
would not need anyone to read the news to them.

o	Efficient Search: The network should support fast, efficient and
effective search facilities. The user should be able to search for news
items using any of a large number of criteria like topic, date, origin,
locality and author/publisher. Providing such a search facility will be a
real challenge since we will have to deal with Indic scripts and
multimedia news items. Also, the search should not generate significant
traffic on the Internet so as not to consume a huge amount of
bandwidth.

o	Permanence of News Items: News items once published for
distribution should remain on the network and should be accessible for
a considerable period of time after which they may be stored in archival
storage from where it can be retrieved if required. However, any request
by the original publisher should be honoured by the peers.

o	Immutability: The network should ensure the integrity of the
news articles submitted for distribution and any attempts to modify the
news item (except by the author/publisher) should be resisted. Any user
should be able to verify the integrity of a particular document if he/she
wishes to do so. But this feature should not prevent any user to
comment on an article, etc. and such comments may be viewed by
other users. Adobe PDF documents support such comments.

o	Authentication: Any author/publisher may add his/her digital
signature to a news item and other users should be able to verify such
signatures in order to confirm the origin of the article/news item. This
feature can be easily incorporated using asymmetric key cryptography
techniques.

o	Anonymity and Refutability: By masking the identity of sources
and sinks of requests, the network should be able to protect users from
the potential censor or unsavoury agency. However we need to mask
location information as well as identifiers, as otherwise a traffic analysis
may effectively reveal identities, so some form of onion routing is also
usually required.

The process of news item submission should be such that it would not
be possible to track down the submitter unless the submitter purposely
reveals his/her origin.

This two related features would make it very difficult to allow deletion or
modification of news items even by the original submitter. So we need
to find a way to balance these conflicting requirements.

o	Censor-Resistant: The network should be so designed as to
withstand any attempts at censorship or Denial of Service. This may be
achieved by splitting a file into component parts so that no single site
carries the whole file, and a Denial of Service attack has to run over
multiple sites.

Encrypting blocks of the file not only make sure that disclosure is
unlikely, but also that a node can deny knowledge of the actual content
it carries. This would help Service Providers to align themselves with
the ``common carrier'' defence against legal liability for content, like
telephony and postal providers.

o	Fully De-centralised: There should not be any centralised
control so as to make the system fault-tolerant and efficient and to
eliminate a single point of failure for legal, economic and political
attacks. But this would make routing and searching more difficult.

o	Platform Independent: The users should be able to access the
news distribution network from any platform. So we need to create
clients to access the network for the major platforms. In this respect we
feel Java might be a good choice as a programming language.

o	Efficient Routing: Efficient routing is very essential in such a
massively distributed system with no central control. The routing
protocol should not generate much traffic for each routing request,
otherwise the network will not be very usable. We intend to use a third-
generation routing substrate based on Distributed Hash Table for
routing.

o	Support for trust models: Just as in the real world, a fully
cooperative model such as this network may break down if peers are
not provided with incentives to participate. We would look into trust,
incentive and reputation models based on both economic and game
theoretic approaches. This is one area where we envision the need for
extensive research as there is no established model for trust and
reputation.

o	Load Sharing: Most of the users will be using dial-up
connections to the Internet. So it is imperative that users who have
higher bandwidth share a larger portion of the load. Our network will
have to facilitate such means-based load sharing.

The peer-to-peer news distribution network which we propose to
develop will have a considerable impact on the way news is currently
distributed. It will also be a pioneer in providing native Indic script
support allowing the non English speaking people to benefit from this
effort. A peer-to-peer computing experiment of this type has never been
attempted in India. This will benefit the peer-to-peer networking
community by allowing it to experiment with various new algorithms and
techniques.

However, as you would appreciate, implementing all the features
mentioned above is a Herculean task and is just not feasible in a time-
frame of just 6 months.

So we would like the readers to suggest which features should be given
priority.

Hope we would get the advice and support of the readers of this list.
We would especially like to hear from the readers with backgrounds in
journalism, etc. since the program is basically a vehicle to distribute
news items.

Thank you.
Soumava Das
Sarai Independent Fellow