[Reader-list] Concretely Abstract - 1st Posting

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:46:46 IST 2004

25th January 2004

I have been asked to write an ‘abstract’ of my research fellowship, but I
guess this is going to be quite concrete:

24th January 2004
Train Journey from Currey Road to Byculla (in the ladies compartment)

I accidentally put my foot on another woman’s foot when I was making way for
myself to get off at Byculla Station. My foot simply touched a small portion
of her foot. The lady was standing by the door. There was a little rush by
the door because the entire crowd wanted to get off at Byculla Station.
The woman had a very stern and angry look on her face (both before and after
the little accident between us, except that her eyebrows were a bit more
twitched after the accident occurred). This woman was what I would describe
as the ‘classic pungent and tight woman’. She wore a large bindi on her
forehead. Her lips were big and luscious, very kissable. She had smeared a
heavy layer of dark brown lipstick on her lips. She was perhaps the
prototype of a Punjabi woman, though very honestly, I don’t know whether she
was Punjabi or not.
The moment my foot hit her foot, she uttered an irritated squeal, which to
me signals the initial cry of a big confrontation and conflagration in the
ladies compartment. (It is quite a normal situation you see). I simply
gestured a sorry to her foot with my hands pointed to her foot and then
touching them to my chest (like we Indians normally do when our foot hits
anything, though I fail to understand what this gesture means) and continued
to wear the happy and calm look on my face. Perhaps this made her even more
irritable because I had snatched away an opportunity for a fight (and a
fight like this is an opportunity for the much needed outburst of ‘displaced
anger and frustration’). I had made a conscious decision in my mind not to
retort to her, because during periods of intense crowds, minor accidents and
incidents are a source of major conflagration and outbursts. Then follows a
line of communication which is a patterned exchange of reactions and trying
to emerge victorious (or at least with the feeling of victory) in the
battle!

We acquire stresses during the course of leading our existence in cities.
Tensions and stresses are very much part of us. The point in this process is
where do we find an outlet for release when all of it builds itself up
inside us? Trains provide that space to simply think and verbalize our
frustrations to ourselves (and to the ‘imagined’ ‘concerned’ ‘entity’ in our
heads). They provide a space for what I call ‘self-talk’ and ‘other-talk’
(and other-talk is also to ourselves only). What we desperately seek during
the period of our short and long journeys in the train is enough physical
space for and to ourselves. During rush hours (also known as peak hours) in
the train journeys, there is no physical space absolutely. People are
clamouring all over. People are falling over each other. People are touching
you here and there, accidentally hitting you here and there producing sparks
for minor and major fights! (The classic in my personal case is: due to my
short height, I find people end up hitting their elbows on my neatly tied
bun and that irritates me most because it puts my bun out of shape!) Each
one is trying to find space for herself (I have used ‘herself’ because I am
specifically observing women in trains), or at least create a comfortable
corner where one can be ‘left alone’. I find this desire most evident when
trains are empty and women normally rush to the seats in the corners, near
the windows. They rarely look out of the window; all that they want is that
precious corner in which they can loosen themselves up and be comfortable,
oblivious of whatever is happening around them. That corner seat is what is
call one of few the ‘breathing spaces inside the ladies compartment’. During
the rush hours, particularly when you are coming back from office/work and
are ready to go back home to the kitchens to cook and prepare to retire for
the start of another day, you so strongly wish that life could be easier,
much easier, with fewer people around!

For women, trains are a space for furthering the sentiment of community
which is part of life in Mumbai. One of the things that I am trying to
observe and study is the role of language in deepening this community
sentiment. I find Christian and Zoroastrian women speak Marathi as fluently
as the local Maharashtrian women. Gujarati, Sindhi, Bambaiya Hindi, Marathi,
South Indian and even Punjabi (I am including English of all dialects and
kinds) are the languages used for communication in trains and these
languages help to further the community feeling among women. (I am beginning
to feel that English, by itself, is just not THE language for creating and
enhancing the community sentiment.)
The ladies compartment is one space where women can articulate and express
their grievances and sorrows. Often I find bukha clad women who, through
their subtle eye glances and gestures, communicate their plight and their
very strong desires for liberty and sexuality. Women try to help each other
in trains, either emotionally or ‘actually’ (i.e. materially). I will, in
some of my subsequent postings narrate some incidents that I have come
across of this type.

For women, the ladies compartment is a space where they can be both
conscious and not conscious at various times. I find that the women who
travel to VT and Churchgate in the mornings to start work/office/college,
take off their sarees and re-do them properly as the train is about to
approach the final junction. Some of them sit on the floors of the
compartment just to make themselves comfortable. Sitting on the floors is
something which normally only vendors do during the odd hours, but in the
morning peak hours, sophisticated women have no shame or hassles in sitting
on the floors.
Similarly, some of the buying and selling activity makes most women very
self-conscious because the hawkers are very direct and straightforward.
Through the sharpness of their tongues, they can almost instantly reveal you
in your own eyes and before others, a moment which can be horribly traumatic
and devastating.
A lot of women spend their time in their journey to make up for sleep. They
simply sleep and it is beautiful to watch this site sometimes.

There are numerous aspects of the ladies compartment which I wish to bring
out to myself during the course of this study. The methodology of the study
is:

·	Observation of women and their behaviour through events and incidents (and
also accidents)
·	Talking to women and the vendors on random subjects and on focused
subjects, essentially trying to understand the impact of crowds on their
behaviour, assessment of consumerism through the advertisement boards and
through the incessant buying and selling activity in the trains
·	Talking to males as well about their experiences and ideas of space and
comparing these to women’s experience and idea of space in trains
·	Literature review
·	Photographs
·	Blogging: This will soon be set up for people across the world to share
their experiences of trains, both in Mumbai and in different parts of the
world

The final product, I hope will be in the form of a book, which will come out
some day as an initial step towards creating a vision and an action plan for
more breathing and meeting spaces for people.

I specifically chose the two themes “women” and “space” for reasons which I
have outlined in my subsequent posting.

To conclude, laws of physics and momentum are best understood in trains.
Trains help in developing adjustment and adaptation mechanisms and
behaviours to lead life in the city. I strongly believe that at the end of
the day, trains make me realize that I am no more (and no less) than a HUMAN
ANIMAL.

- Zainab Bawa