[Reader-list] Hindi Localization of KDE & GNOME

G Karunakar karunakar at freedomink.org
Sun Jan 25 19:14:01 IST 2004

Hi all,

I am introducing our fellowship work titled 'Hindi Localization of KDE &
GNOME'

Some Background:
Localization is one of the important but much ignored process in
software development. It basically involved making the software culture
sensitive, so that it can work in different locales, supporting
 different languages. At IndLinux we are working towards localizing free
software like KDE & GNOME into Hindi.

Aim is to localize key components of FLOSS like KDE & GNOME to Hindi,
 needed to build a fully functional & usable Hindi Desktop. Major work
in this area is English to Hindi translation of GUI strings and help
documentation. Fellowship support will be used towards supporting
fulltime translators and volunteers doing the work.

Final product will be a bootable CD containing all the localized
software, with interface customized for ease of use. This will be
released as free software.

Immediate goals are
* Setting up a translation database which can be used for automatic
translation & as review mechanism.
* Carry on further work of KDE translations.
* Conduct usability workshop to get feedback from users on localized
products.

For more on IndLinux see http://www.indlinux.org
Project page: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/indlinux
Project Wiki: http://www.indlinux.org/wiki

KDE Hindi work : http://www.indlinux.org/hindi/kde
GNOME Hindi    : http://www.indlinux.org/hindi/gnome
Milan - bootable CD of Gnome Hindi interface
http://www.indlinux.org/doc/MilanDemoCD.html

More updates to follow soon :)

Regards,
Karunakar