[Reader-list] Understanding the Patenting of Traditional Knowledge-In response

Waquar Ahmed ahmed.109 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 28 04:45:21 IST 2004

The issue discussed below is of great interest to me, especially since my
M.Phil dissertation at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi was on
Traditional Knowledge Systems amongst indigenous (tribal) people in India.
Through this dissertation, I have examined traditional knowledge as an
essential part of the identity construction of indigenous people and its
usefulness in their lives. I have also examined how colonialism,
modernization (including the idea of nation state, national laws, dam
building, etc) and globalization vis-a-vis WTO and the intellectual
property rights regime have tended to dis-empower indigenous people and has
failed to understand the very essence of these people's way of life. It is
important to understand as to how these knowledge systems come into
existence and evolve within a community and that the evolution of this
intellectual property is very different from 'formal inventions' that take
place primarily in laboratories with its inventors being recognizable as an
individual or a group of individuals (private ownership). Most indigenous
communities in India have their own 'traditional healers' or 'witch
doctors' who have in depth understanding of their natural surroundings and
they are the ones who know how to use the plants and other biotic and
abiotic resources as medicines. Their knowledge is part of the oral
tradition which is passed down from one generation of 'traditional healers'
or 'witch doctors' to another. Traditional knowledge related to
agricultural and hunting practice is known and evolves within the community
and is know to most members within the community. Here, I do not intend to
say that traditional knowledge related to healing/medicines do not evolve
on account of contribution/feedback from the community, in fact it does.

Unless community rights over intellectual property is recognized, it will
not be possible to economically reward the inventors of traditional
medicines or seeds or resources that is useful to society at large (from
which most of the modern medicines and seeds are derived) and
Pharmaceutical and seed companies are going to contest any such effort with
all their financial might.

You are most welcomed to get back to me with questions on the social,
political and ecological dimensions of this discourse. Besides, you could
also meet Dr. B. S. Butola at the Centre for Regional Development,
Jawaharlal Nehru University while you are there in Delhi. He is a genius
and meeting him will be worth the effort in the context of your project.
Another person that you could meet is Dr. Suman Sahai of Gene Campaign (an
NGO in Delhi). Gene Campaign specializes on the issue that you are
examining. They work for the rights of farmers and indigenous peoples
vis-a-vis issues of biopiracy, TRIPS, WTO, et al. Their website is
www.genecampaign.org . You could also go through my M.Phil dissertation
(and take note of all the references) which is titled as 'Society Nature
Relations and Traditional Knowledge of Indigenous Communities: A Case Study
of Uttaranchal'. Though the title might sound misleading, it contains in
detail all that I have written above briefly.

Best wishes,
Waquar Ahmed.
Graduate Teaching Associate and Ph.D. Student,
Department of Geography,
1155 Derby Hall, North Oval Mall.
Ohio State University, Columbus 43210.
Email: ahmed.109 at osu.edu