[Reader-list] IHT in India

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 13:24:44 IST 2004

Dear Aniruddha,

I agree with all of what you say. When I said the government was being
dumb, I didn't mean it, I was just being sarcastic. But perhaps free
speech activists in India re being dumb by not speaking out against
the Union of India's paranoid decision to block publication of the
IHT.

I didn't quite understand whether you are against the publication of
IHT from India or for it, and by implication your views on foreign
'investment' in the Indian media. You wrote: "They could consider IHT
the thin edge of the wedge... let one in and soon a host will follow,
with content that would be far more objectionable than the IHT." IHT
is objectionable content? What really amounts to being
'objectionable'? Hypothetically, if the government allows foreign
papers, and a Pakistani paper publishes from India, and instigates
communal violence here, surely the government can ban it? If a paper
prints 'propaganda' against India, public opinion will make the paper
mend its ways. But to ban al foreign papers by presuming that they
will publish what is detrimental to the Indian state, is downright
silly, paranoid and archaic.

Thanks
Shivam

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:05:26 +0530, Aniruddha Shankar <karim at sarai.net> wrote: