[Reader-list] Nooh Nizami

sabeena gadihok sgadihok at vsnl.com
Tue Jul 20 07:52:46 IST 2004

Dear Friends:

It is with great shock and sadness that I would like to share with you the passing of Nooh Nizami from the batch of 99, MCRC. Nizami along with Saba Siddiqi of NDTV drowned while swimming off the coast of Raigad, Maharastra in the afternoon of July 18th. Nizami was an extremely visual and creative camera-person having worked with Muzzafar Ali and on several other documentaries and ad films. He was in Baghdad, sending dispatches to India through the Iraq war and co-directed "Passengers", a documentary on Gujarat with Akanksha Joshi. More than any of this, he was a wonderful person and friend. When I met him in March this year (when he conducted a very successful lighting workshop with the MCRC students despite the usual hurdles and bureaucracy), he was full of ideas about new films and work in Bombay. He said "Bombay mein apni kismat azmane ja raha hoon." I find it difficult to believe that I will not see him again in Coffee Café Day in the New Friends colony market or meet up with him to chat about the many things that we shared. I share in the grief of his family and loved ones.

Sabeena Gadihoke