[Reader-list] Call for Papers :: Contested Commons/Trespassing Publics

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Jul 31 15:25:05 IST 2004

*Call for Papers *

*Contested Commons/Trespassing Publics :: *
A Conference on Inequalities, Conflicts and Intellectual Property

6th - 8th January 2005 in New Delhi, India.

The past  few years have seen conflicts over the regulation of
information; knowledge and cultural materials increase in intensity and
scope. This conflict has widened to include new geographical spaces,
particularly China, India, South Africa and Brazil. Moreover, a range of
new problems, including the expansion of intellectual property
protection to almost all spheres of our social life, has intensified the
nature of the conflict. It is important to recognize that the nature of
the conflict gets configured differently as we move from the United
States and Europe to social landscapes marked by sharp inequalities in
Asia, Latin America and Africa.

In the light of these transformations, we would like to revisit earlier
discussions on creativity, innovation, authorship, and the making of
property. Is it possible to draw comparative registers between earlier
histories of violence and dispossession that accompanied the making of
property, and the current turbulence around intellectual property on
world scale?

In this conference, we would like to push comparative discussions
between earlier and contemporary moments of dispossession and
criminalisation, between the open source movement and discussions on
traditional knowledge and biodiversity. We would also like to build a
dialogue between different moments in media history: print, film, music
and the new media, so as to prise open questions around culture,
circulation and property.

This conference aspires to interrogate the philosophical persuasions,
cultural dynamics, political economy and legal grids that constitute the
contemporary consensus. This cross-disciplinary conference will bring
together people from different areas of study: law, history, sociology,
literature, anthropology, development and cultural studies, film and
media studies.

The conference is organised by Sarai (www.sarai.net), a programme of the
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi, and the Alternative
Law Forum (ALF), Bangalore. Sarai's research programme focuses on urban
culture and the media, while ALF is a collective of critical legal
researchers and practitioners based in Bangalore. Sarai and ALF have
been collaborating on research and practice in the domain of 'Knowledge
and Culture Commons' over the last two years.

Abstracts of three hundred words (300) are invited. The abstracts may
address anyone of the above themes.

We will support travel and board of all selected participants resident
in the South.

Last date for submission of abstracts is the 15th of September 2004

Please mail your abstracts to <ipabstract at sarai.net>

--------------
Conference Editors:
 >From Sarai/CSDS: Jeebesh Bagchi, Ravi Sundaram
 >From ALF: Lawrence Liang, Sudhir Krishnaswamy
--------------------------

Sarai
Center for Study of Developing Studies (CSDS)
29, Rajpur Road
Delhi 110054, India
Ph: 91 11 23960040
Fax: 91 11 23943450