[Reader-list] Film review

Shveta Sarda shveta at sarai.net
Wed Jun 16 16:35:41 IST 2004

Hello!

Girlfriend may not exactly be the best film made in history (or anywhere
close :) but it's an interesting film all the same (As I discovered on
seeing it yesterday!)

Yes, one of the women is a self declared man-hater and this is posed as
the explanation for her being a lesbian. But it would perhaps be
interesting to see this in the context of Bollywood film history. We
have several recent examples - Darr and Baazigar for instance. There is
invariably some childhood trauma that is made part of the protagonists'
biography. In the case of males, it is the mother leaving, or being
thrown out of the house in childhood. In case of Tania (Boyfriend) it
was child sexual abuse.

Interestingly, a small change in one variable (the jealous lover) is
what produces interesting disruptions - and possibilities. While the
audience seemed to enjoy the first song where the two women/friends
danced and sang, there was a puzzlement about the nature of the response
when the women had sex, or when they danced together in a party
thereafter, or spoke about the intimacies they shared as friends. There
were no cat-calls; and there was definitely a meditative silence during
the intermission and when the audience left the hall after the movie.

I think perhaps there need to be more ways than viewing the film - any
popular film for that matter - in terms of whether it was a good/bad
representation of lesbian love. Girlfriend is interesting in the small
disruption, hesitation in response, the puzzlement it produces. It may
perhaps open up some spaces for conversations.

best
shveta