[Reader-list] Questions concerning 6th Independent Research Posting

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:35:14 IST 2004

Questions on Sixth Independent Research Posting

Since some days, I have been questioning myself on the ladies compartment. I
don’t know why it was introduced in the first place, but what’s interesting
is that since it has been there, there has already been this segregation of
sexes on the train space. Interestingly, we have (very specifically) the
‘Ladies Compartment’ and (in politically correct terms) ‘General
Compartment’ which is usually known as gents compartment.

Exclusive space for women (by virtue of creating separate ladies
compartments) perhaps was intended from the point of view of ‘deliberately
segregating sexes’ (I am speculating here) for reasons of security, privacy
and gender norms (perhaps!). Now that women have a ladies compartment to
themselves, has their ability to negotiate and occupy space enhanced
positively? Would women have been able to express themselves (the way they
do in the ladies compartment) in the ‘general compartment’ too? Have
security issues heightened for women because of the ladies compartment? Or
would women face security issues even in the general compartment?

Now that the ladies compartment has been in existence for a long, long time,
women seem to be unable to conceive men and women traveling together. When I
mention to lady commuters and to male commuters that across the world, there
is no separate marking of compartments into ladies and gents and that both
men and women travel together, they are astonished.

A friend, who lived in Mumbai and has now moved to Shanghai, was narrating
her train experiences to me in both cities. She mentions that she feels
comfortable traveling with men in Shanghai trains and in this context said,
“Of course, Chinese men are much more civilized than our Mumbai men. I would
not be able to imagine traveling with men in Mumbai on the trains. But I
wish men and would travel together on Mumbai trains. Perhaps, this would
help us women face men better!” She spoke to me about how it was important
for her to be aware and alert while she walked on the platforms and bridges
in Mumbai else someone touch or pinch her here and there.

In my last posting, I spoke of exclusive spaces for women. I realize now
that as women are going out to work, they have taken on the ladies
compartment space and are making the most of it. in an interesting
conversation last evening, an acquaintance said to me over the phone, “Have
you seen that when the train starts moving while leaving the platform, in
the general compartment, men often put their hands out to help other men get
on the train. You will not find this on the ladies compartment where women
are stretching out their hands to help other women get on. In fact, women
dissuade other women from getting into the ladies compartment.” I found this
remark to be very interesting also in the light of the fact of how regular
women commuters on the Virar fast create trouble for Borivali travelers to
get on and off the train, stating that Borivali travelers should have sense
to travel on their trains rather than on Virar trains.

Now that women have the ladies compartment as a space to themselves, are
they displaying their claims to territory in as aggressive or even more
aggressive manner than men? Are they enjoying their privacy and cherishing
it?