[Reader-list] ragging

Asthana, Rahul Rahul.Asthana at CIBC.com
Mon Jun 28 21:35:28 IST 2004

Adding to what Shivam and Anand have said, the Abu Gharaib brand of ragging
is the rule rather than the exception,in most of the parts of North India(I
cannot talk about other parts because I dont know).
I wonder though, why the cracking up of students is the exception rather
than the rule.
Bad things do happen to people, but they are few and far between, and most
probably most of the students turn out pretty much O.K.Now as I read my last
sentence,it seems to me I am making an assumption. So,there needs to be some
investigation\study\debate on how this sort of abuse manifests itself in the
behaviour of people.One obvious manifestation is in the abused becoming the
abuser.But this does not always happen.Reasonable individuals, who have gone
through inhuman ragging,do manage to maintain their sense of what is wrong
and what is right, when they become seniors.Besides the obvious physical
hurt and vindictiveness, I would like to know what are the other, more
subtle,repurcussions of ragging.

Second thing which I am interested in is the motivation of the raggers; of
course it is a statement of authority and the follow up of tradition,but
again, as far as my observation goes,such raggers comprise of a few students
among the class.So it would be interesting to figure out how they become
what they are.Feelings of insecurity,turbulent childhood,unstable family
life,social\economic background are some of the reasons which come to my
mind.

Thirdly,how do we prevent ragging?Will making laws solve it?I doubt.Unless
the belief is cultivated that such kind of ragging
is morally wrong, laws wont make any differece.The conscience wont
interfere.This brings me back to my first point-a thorough investigation on
the more subtle repurcussions of ragging is needed.Also, the media has to be
more vigilant.The more such type of horror stories come out, the more people
will realize that how natural is the comparison to Abu Gharaib and more
apathy would be developed towards ragging.

Fourthly,what are the support mechanisms in place for the abused?Here I am
taking more about counselling ,rather than legal. While the abused might be
afraid to seek support from law or from any other authority, some
institutional counselling  support where they can seek help without having
any questions asked might be valuable to them.Furthermore, I think the
raggers too need counselling here,much more than the ragged.