[Reader-list] Research Musings + Ladies Train Travel in 1947

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 10:57:13 IST 2004

Research Musings

Since the last one week, I have been visiting Railway Offices for historical
information on Mumbai’s Local Trains and details about the ladies
compartment. The process in itself has been interesting. I have been living
in Mumbai since 25 years now and this is the first time that I have visited
the Railway Offices of Central and Western Railway. The Western Railway
Office is situated at Churchgate. It is a dull and drab building as against
the Central Railway Building situated at VT. The latter is a typical British
Architecture building. It is quite magnificent from the inside, a bit
overwhelming too I must say. It resembles the BMC building, but more British
from the inside than the BMC building which is also British architecture.

What I found interesting is that sites like Railway Offices are rarely
visited in a city. We simply pass by them. Even when these visits are
undertaken, they are mundane, for mundane purposes. Who visits a Railway
Office? Someone who has a ticket refund to take. I was 19 when I first
visited the BMC building to get letters of invitation from the Mayor. When
volunteering with an organization in Mumbai, my colleagues had to visit the
Railway Office to obtain permission for conducting street plays on Indo-Pak
relations at railway stations. The organizer narrated his experience at the
Railway Office in the weekly meeting stating, “Our schools never taught us
about railway offices. It is real life which teaches us about these things.”
A couple of days ago, a friend chatting with me over the phone said, “On my
job, I learnt how to book an airline ticket. Now when I talk about it, it
sounds silly. But when I did it for the first time, I felt great.” I
responded, “Makes you feel slightly liberated now, huh?” I remember the
sense of freedom I experienced when I first entered the BMC building and got
my work done, when I booked my first railway ticket, when I undertook my
first overseas trip.

While sitting in the Town Hall library researching books on railways of the
Raj, I met with a girl who has researched electricity in Mumbai and is
currently working on researching fountains and water tanks in the city. I
was reading voraciously about trains, learning about gauges, lines and
designs of trains. It struck me that these mundane objects simply pass by in
our everyday lives – we rarely notice them because we are too involved with
them.

During the process of the current research, I discovered the Indian Railways
Fan Club and now on their e-group, I am beginning to understand how web
communities are formed. People on this group are highly passionate about
railways. Daily at least 20 and as many as 100 emails are exchanged on the
list. I ask myself how people relate themselves to objects. I wonder what
objects are we attached to in a city. And I also question the myriad
relationships between people and objects in a city. For that matter, what
are the relationships between people and places in a city?

The train research is beginning to reveal facets about cities and people,
and I am awed by the number of questions that are coming to the fore. There
are ways of seeing a city. I have begun to see the city through trains. The
girl studying electricity is analyzing the city through the electric power
which is so much a part of our everyday lives that we don’t realize this
fact until there is a power cut! What are other ways of seeing a city?

Yesterday in the Town Hall library, I discovered a book published in 1947 by
V. V. Modak of the G.I.P. Railway Bombay about Railway Travel in India. The
purpose of writing this book was to educate the general public about railway
travel in India. The author had stated that this information and knowledge
is a must, and should be imparted in schools, colleges and educational
institutions in order to teach people the exact ways of traveling by trains.
The book outlined details about how railway fares are determined, booking
offices in a city, traveling with dogs and birds on the train, servants
travel on trains, waiting rooms on railway stations, weight of luggage on
the train, etc. It was a complete guidebook about train travel. I was
completely amused while reading the book. I wonder why they don’t write such
books anymore?

I am quoting an excerpt from the book about Ladies Travel on Trains. Note
the language and above all, the rules set out for women traveling alone and
with children in the various classes of ladies compartment. Enjoy!

Chapter XII

THIRD AND INTERMEDIATE COMPARTMENTS RESERVED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF
LADIES: FIRST AND SECOND CLASS RESERVED ACCOMODATION FOR LADIES: FIRST AND
SECOND CLASS LADIES TRAVELING ALONE AT NIGHT: SERVANTS IN SOLE CHARGE OF
CHILDREN BELOW 12 YEARS OF AGE

Reserved Accommodation for III Class Lady Passengers:- A third class
carriage forming part of a passenger train is reserved for the exclusive use
of lady passengers. Boys under 12 years of age, if accompanying relatives,
or friends, are allowed to travel in these compartments. Third class ladies’
compartment can be distinguished from the other compartments by the picture
of the face of a lady on glass which is exhibited thereon. At night, a light
at the rear of the lady’s picture will prominently draw your attention to
this compartment.

Wherever possible, inter class ladies’ compartments are provided on some of
the Mail and Express trains, and information in this connection can be
obtained on a reference to the Coaching Guide.

First and Second Class Reserved Accommodation for Ladies:- As for first and
second class ladies’ compartments, there is no such picture device, but a
sign board ‘Ladies’ is fixed to the outside of the compartment. As for the
reservation of separate intermediate, second and first class compartments
for ladies, this can be arranged by giving 24 hours’ notice to the Station
Master from which station the train starts and provided it is possible for
him to arrange this.

The Railway Administration also undertakes to provide separate first and
second class ladies’ compartments on certain important trains, and the
necessary information can be obtained from the tariff of that railway.

Safety Devices:-  Third class ladies’ compartments, as also those of
intermediate, second and first classes are fitted with bars to the windows,
and also provided with good bolts for the doors from inside. Every endeavor
is made by the Railway Administration to make these compartments immune from
danger, by resorting to every possible device. When ladies are traveling
alone at night, it is advisable that they should occupy ladies’ compartment
for the sake safety and convenience. It should always be examined that the
ladies’ compartment are provided with lights. If they are not lighted, then
the Station Master on duty should be approached, and it is his
responsibility to put the lights in order.

A Caution: - When ladies board compartments which were not occupied by even
a single lady before they entrained, they should first examine the bath
rooms, and lavatories and the inside of the compartment and satisfy
themselves that no thieves are hiding there, and this should invariably be
done before the train leaves the station. This caution should be clearly
borne in mind by ladies traveling alone at night, as precious lives have
been endangered by negligence in this connection.

Male passengers are prohibited from traveling in Ladies’ compartments: - Do
not allow any male passengers to travel in ladies’ compartments, even if the
wives or relatives of these passengers are traveling in ladies’
compartments. If they try to do so, they should be advised to take their
wives and relatives to the men’s compartments. If the passengers refuse to
clear out of the compartments, the Station Master on duty should be advised
immediately and the passengers compelled to get out of the compartment. In
the case of a male passenger boarding the ladies’ compartment just a little
time before the train is in motion, pull the Alarm Chain, and stop the
train. After the train has stopped, the Guard who will move from his brake
towards the engine to locate the compartment which the Alarm Chain has been
pulled, and to make enquiries why the train has been stopped, should be
called and advised to get the passenger out of the compartment. After the
passenger has been taken out, then the train should be allowed to move.

The punishment meted out to Male Passengers for the offence of entering and
remaining in Ladies’ Compartment: - The punishment meted out to Male
passengers for the offence of entering and remaining in the ladies’
compartment will be in accordance with Section 119 of the Indian Railways
Act, which reads as under: -
‘If a male person, knowing a carriage, compartment, room or other place to
be reserved by a railway administration for the exclusive use of females,
enters the place without lawful excuse, or having entered it, remains
therein after having been desired by any railway servant to leave it, he
shall be punished with fine which may extend to one hundred rupees, in
addition to the forfeiture of any fare which he may have paid and of any
pass or ticket which he may have obtained or purchased, and may be removed,
from the railway by any railway servant.”

First and second class Ladies Traveling alone at night: - A lady traveling
alone or with children under 12 years of age at night in a first or second
class compartment reserved for ladies may take with her in the same
compartment in which she is traveling, one female servant holding a third
class ticket for that portion of the journely which is performed between the
hours of 8 P.M. and 6 A.M. This rule will not apply when two or more ladies
are traveling in the same compartment.

The servant must leave the compartment when more than one adult passenger
occupies it.